Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Do I need a new carseat?

Please tell me no. Please please please tell me I don't have to go buy another freaking carseat, because I might decide to just never leave my house again instead.

My son was sitting in the car, in his Evenflow Triumph DLX today, with his hands behind his head. And then, something hit me in the back of the head.

It was a piece of the foam from behind the upholstery. He put his hand through the holes where the belts come through, and ripped out a piece of the foam. And then before we got where we were going, he ripped out another.

I don't know what to do. I can probably get them back in where they go, but I know I will never be able to keep him from doing this now that he's found this new thing to do. I know this because I haven't been able to stop him from picking at the styrofoam since he figured out how to unclip the upholstery from the side and pull it up to expose the styrofoam.

And if I do buy another seat, I know it will just be a matter of time until he finds a way to desecrate the new seat.

Le sigh.

Re: Do I need a new carseat?

• Options
    where's SCB when you need her??
  • Options

What a little explorer!  I have no idea if you need a new car seat.  I'd lean towards 'no' if he's going to just find something to mess with in a new one!

I see ovulation day is soon -- hope this is your month!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Is there a way to sew it shut (wherever he is getting the foam from)?  I am not getting the clearest mental image of what's going on...lol.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Tash13Tash13 member
    I'd call the manufacturer and ask what they recommend.  Hopefully they recommend duct tape and an interesting toy to keep little hands busy :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageTash13:
    I'd call the manufacturer and ask what they recommend.  Hopefully they recommend duct tape and an interesting toy to keep little hands busy :)

Oh, God, no. Duct tape would just make it incredibly appealing. I swear, I could entertain him for a day and a half with a 4x8 sheet of plywood and a roll of masking tape. Peeling tape/stickers/etc., off things is his favorite pastime. You have no idea how many unidentified cans are in my pantry.

And the interesting toys are never interesting for long. We live 30-60 minutes from anyplace I ever need to go, so he gets pretty bored. We have books, toys, even a colander (he loves it, don't know why) in the car all the time, and have to rotate them out perpetually.

Sewing is an option...I'll have to look at that.

And thanks, mf...Yeah, I'm being cautiously optimistic, while trying to ignore the whole process and trick myself into pregnancy at the same time.

• Options

Thinking of Duct tape.  Could you Duct tape on the foam part (you know take off the cover and tape in the area that he likes to pick on seat (not the cover)).  Then sew like pp mentioned.  That way if the sewing doesn't work there is tape for him to pick at and the good news is you can always add more tape on top of it.

• Options

Very crafty, cess. Very crafty.

I just worry about the duct tape changing the shock absorption factor of the foam.

• Options

I would call the customer service # and explain the situation to them. The styrofoam is a crucial part of the seat. They may also have some idea on how to prevent it in the future without compromising the integrity of the seat.

This is actually a very common issue with car seats.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imageSuperCuteBenz:
    I would call the customer service # and explain the situation to them. The styrofoam is a crucial part of the seat.

It's not the styrofoam that he pulled out today. It's the black 3/4-inch thick upholstery foam behind the liner.

• Options
    imageLoriFalce:

imageSuperCuteBenz:
    I would call the customer service # and explain the situation to them. The styrofoam is a crucial part of the seat.

It's not the styrofoam that he pulled out today. It's the black 3/4-inch thick upholstery foam behind the liner.

My bad. I misread.

I believe you can order a replacement foam piece. I would just call when you can.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Good idea. I should probably by a few.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"