Babies on the Brain
Options

Ready to lose my effing mind!!!

Seriously, all dh does, is play video games and go to work.  Quite litterally if he's not working he's playing video games.  I even ate supper on my own while he played video games after I spent and hour and a half making it!!! I'm really starting to get pissed and any time I bring it up, he gets defensive and pissed.

This isn't a new issue but it's gotten worse lately.  I'm having thoughts that are not good and I don't know what to do about this situation.  Any thoughts? 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker LFWisBack Our Guardian Angels: 11.06 * 6.09 * 12.11

Re: Ready to lose my effing mind!!!

• Options

Do you have a TV with splitscreen? Honestly, that solved a lot of our videogame issues. I can watch tv and sit next to him while he plays his games on the other side.

• Options
    He's playing games on the computer these days.  But yea, that will help when call of duty season comes back in lol!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker LFWisBack Our Guardian Angels: 11.06 * 6.09 * 12.11
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Let's go get a drink together because I am having the same exact problem.  I don't know how to fix it either. 
  • Options
    Yes, I understand. I finally had to make DH understand how much he was hurting me and Lucas with his video game addiction, no to mention hurting himself. It has taken a long time, but he is really starting to realize his priorities.
  • Options

I'm assuming you have already tried talking to him about this?  If so and it still isn't better, then I'm sorry that you are having to deal with this. 

I think that a lot of men don't realize that this too can be an addiction that is just as harmful to your everyday life as other addictions.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

PCOS and Hypothyroidism- Successful IUI's- May 2012 and October 2014.  Miscarriage @ 6w3d in December 2009.
  • Options

::sneaks in under a cloak of darkness and takes a sledgehammer to video games::

Seriously though, I thank God every day that my DH has zero interest in video games.  Have you talked to him about it? I know it seems childish, but maybe you can come up with some kind of agreement about usage hours or something? 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I had to have a serious conversation with DH about this more than once.  He's usually good about compromising with me, but if not, withholding sex usually does it.

Not that it's good for TTC, but if it works it works.

• Options
    I've honestly had thoughts of leaving him over it.  I really didn't want him to start playing games on the computer.  Now my fears have been realized and I'm completely neglected.  It doesn't help that since I'm layed off right now, I'm home cleaning all the time and he just sits there and plays video games.
  • Options

my DH does that too :( it used to be worse, he used to completely ignore me and when i would go to bed he'd say "let me finish this level and i'll come lay down" and then he would play for 3 more hours. I finally broke down and told him i had had serious thoughts about leaving over it and that it was tearing us apart and i couldn't take it anymore. then the next time he chose the games over me i just packed up and went to my parents of rthe night without saying a word to him. Now he is much beter about getting off as soon as i ask him to and spending more time with me

you just need to sit down and be tottaly honest with your DH about how it makes you feel. Tell him you can't deal with it anymore, and stick to your word. The next time he makes you eat dinner by yourself, leave for the night, and come back the next day and dicsuss it. He just needs to know how serious of an issue it is to you, and if he wants to make our marriage work that he needs to stop. I'm really sorry you're going through this, i truly understand 100%

• Options
    I told mine that he needed to put in some "us" time or I was going to take back the playstation, I bought it, I could sell it to someone else.  He knew it was an empty threat but it snapped him out of it.  With the nicer weather he's getting better.  Maybe a good threat is what you need?  Or you could go for guilt, ask him why his games are more important to him then his wife? GL!
  • Options

imageTheMrs923:
    I've honestly had thoughts of leaving him over it.  I really didn't want him to start playing games on the computer.  Now my fears have been realized and I'm completely neglected.  It doesn't help that since I'm layed off right now, I'm home cleaning all the time and he just sits there and plays video games.

If it is at that point for you then I think you should suggest talking to a counselor.  They can work wonders on helping DH realize his priorities along with helping you understand it.  We dealt with a different addiction early on in our marriage, however, one thing I did learn is an addiction is an addiction.  It can be almost anything. 

We saw a counselor and although we are responsible for saving our marriage, I greatly appreciate all of her help.  We wouldn't be where we are today. (addiction free!)

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

PCOS and Hypothyroidism- Successful IUI's- May 2012 and October 2014.  Miscarriage @ 6w3d in December 2009.
  • Options
    This is what happens to me every day.
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member

When you do talk to him about it, try to be specific about what you want.

"I want more time with me" is vauge when you're 3 feet away.  "I want more time to do non-screen-crap that we do together--dinner at the table, a walk, even a movie together, etc" is something substantial where someone can know if theyr'e living up to some minimum expectations.

(says the gamer)

• Options
    I totally understand..Don't know what to tell you as my DH is playing games as we speak.. hang inthere!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Argh, mine knows he will have to listen to me biitch if I even have to wait a few minutes before he comes upstairs to eat. I will NOT watch food get cold for Halo, especially after I busted ass to cook it for him.

He doesn't like to listen to me biitch, so he generally stops playing things he can't pause if it's getting close to dinner time. He's learning. 

imageBabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"