Eco-Friendly Family

WDYT: DS and hummus

I gave DS some roasted red pepper hummus and crackers tonight.  He's had this flavor before but a different brand and didn't react.  He had the Athenos brand tonight and when I wiped his mouth off afterwards he was red everywhere on his face the hummus touched, but not on his fingers/hands which he dipped into eat off hummus as well.  The redness is now just almost gone, 3 hours later.  He's had the original Athenos brand hummus without reaction.  I still have half a tub left and know he'll eat it but worry about the rash.  WDYT?  This is first reaction I've seen on him for anything aside from the occasional redness on his behind from too much dairy.

Re: WDYT: DS and hummus

• Is there an ingredient in it that isn't in the plain (other than peppers)
    47 months &
    11 months
  • I don't know without going to the store tomorrow and checking the containers.  I only bought it as a treat for this week since I was out twice this week without him (OB and movies).  Otherwise, I would have waited for it to go on sale because it was so expensive.  I just grabbed a flavor I know he loves.  And SIL is oblivious and said she doesn't know if he had the rash but it's a possibility.
  • Loading the player...
  • Does this site help? I don't see roasted red pepper for Athenos, just plain and 3 pepper, but it does list the plain ingredients so maybe you can compare?
  • maybe the jalapeno?
    47 months &
    11 months
  • That does help.  I'll go up and grab the container after he's asleep.  Right now he's playing nicely and if I leave the room he's liable to get upset since it's so close to bedtime and he's getting tired.
  • imageluvlieK:
    maybe the jalapeno?

the combination of that and the fact that the red pepper could stain a bit might do it...

• I am pretty sure there's no jalapeno in the roasted red pepper hummus.  It has no spice whatsoever.  Just a nice flavor. And I thought of staining but his hands and fingers weren't stained and he digs right into the hummus.  He scoops it off the cracker and licks it off his fingers then devours the cracker and whatever hummus is left on there.
  • I don't recall seeing jalapeno in that brand.  My bet is that the red pepper either stained his mouth or the red pepper was just irritating to his skin.  A true allergy would have left a bigger rash.  If he is fine 3 hours later, you are fine to let him try it again.  My DD loves that hummus too.  I cant stop her once she starts.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"