Baby Names
Options

Possible boy name...like it or not??

We don't know what we're having this go around, but if it is a boy, we are thinking about the name Mack.  Our first son's name is Liam and we have an Irish last name.   Let me hear it...like it or not?  I can take it!!

Re: Possible boy name...like it or not??

• Options
    EXL311EXL311 member
    I don't like it.  It sounds like a nickname and reminds me of a truck.
    Dee Dee DS Elijah Xin 3/11/05 DD Evangeline Mei 8/24/06
  • Options
    I personaly wouldn't use it, but its suitable for with your other DS's name and your last name.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am not a huge fan.  If you are after an Irish name, there are so many great Irish boy names!!  GL in your search
  • Options

It reminds me of a really old, balding man with a big bushy white mustache and a bad attitude.

Probably because that's what my grandfather's brother, Mack, looks like.  Mack just screams old.  NMS.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    One of my favorite Irish names is Orin.  Here's a great website with a ton more Irish names and how to pronounce them.  https://www.babynamesofireland.com/index.html
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with pp that Mack sounds really old. The pastor at my church who is in his 80s is named MacColumn and goes by Mack. It doesn't sound like a stand alone name either.
  • Options

Ha!  Glad I asked!!  If we do have a little boy again, I surely do not want him to be associated with anyone loud, balding, mean, old or intontinent (sp?)

Thanks for your honest input ladies!

• Options
    erinmserinms member

I actually like it! ?I knew a Mac in college and he was awesome- big, strong young guy, very popular. ?Nothing old about him. ?

I would probably give him a longer name Mac-something or Mc-something, just for a more formal name (any family names that would work?) and call him Mack.

• Options

i think of Frank Sinatra...mack the knife.

how about some of these irsih names...

Brady

Brendan

Colin

Conor

Nevan

Eamon

edmund

Kevin

Rory

Shain

• Options
    I guess I am in the minority when I say I love it! My maiden name started with Mac and I wanted to name DS that.
  • Options
    I think it's cute and uncommon, but familiar. I think Cormac would be a really cute Irish alternative if you decide you want a longer, more formal name and use Mack as a NN.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I love it.  My nephew's name is Mackay and we call him Mack.  I think it is great!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    MrsCFBMrsCFB member

imageEXL311:

ditto.

i like liam though!

• Options

Mac-awesome!

I like Mack! I love the name Maverick too  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I like it!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, I meant to spell it with just a "Mac" not "Mack", adn I'm glad I'm not alone in liking it!!  Mackay might be cute....who knows husband will probably think it sounds " too preppy"  God forbid!!
  • Options

I've always really loved the name Mack. Love it.

I have a family friend who is a very prominent physician with the name Mack.

• Options
    if Mac went with my last name, it would be on the list.... i like it a lot!!
  • Options
    I'm going to go against the crowd and say that I LIKE it!! lol How bout something like Mackenzie...and then you could call him Mack as a nn?
  • Options
    I like Mac as a nn, but not as a name on it's own. I love Cormac!
    Blank!
  • Options
    I think of Mack-daddy.
    Due October 29
  • Options

imageEXL311:

this exactly

• Options
    imageerinms:

I would probably give him a longer name Mac-something or Mc-something, just for a more formal name (any family names that would work?) and call him Mack.

Love this idea!

• Options

I know two little Macs, both because their moms had a maiden name that was Mac-something. One is actually just named Mac; the other is named Michael Christopher but goes by Mac.

I like the name--but I hate the K at the end. I would do Mac for sure, with or without a longer name.

• Options

imageAllThatGlitters101:
    I like Mac as a nn, but not as a name on it's own. I love Cormac!

this. 

• Options
    i like it. Yes
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I knew a boy named cormack! I good irish name!
  • Options
    It makes me want to bust out in song "d-a-double d-y m-a-c. yeah you know me"  lol.  nms.  but use it if you like it! 
  • Options
    I read a book a few years back and one of the main characters was an Irish guy named Mackin. I loved the name and actually just suggested it to my husband!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers image
  • Options
    I think of a semi or an old, tough guy. I guess I don't hate it, but that's what I think of when I hear the name.
  • Options
    nms, DH had a guy work for him whose nn was Mac and he was a weirdo!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"