Detroit Babies
Options

Childcare - When to apply/enroll?

I worked in a child care center in college and remember parents applying years before they were even pregnant to ensure a spot.  DH and I just started ttc and I'm wondering if I should start visitng and applying.  How early did you start looking into child care, and how did it go?

Re: Childcare - When to apply/enroll?

• Options

we started looking couple of months before we wanted to have our DD start the daycare and all of the places we looked at had openings. Since there are a lot of people unemployed right now, enrollment is down in many child care places. But then again I have heard that some places have waiting lists especially for newborn room. I guess it all depends where you live and how popular the child care center is.

Good luck!

• Options

We just started looking.  We are visiting 4 centers all together, and the 2 we have been to already have immediate openings.  Theses are all in the Royal Oak / Clawson / Troy area.

I think with all the people losing their jobs there isn't as many people needing to put their children into day care.  So you may not need to get started right away.

Good Luck!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

we started looking in at 20 weeks.  i wanted to make sure there were openings at the one we wanted.  i think due to the economy there are openings now.  We start next month.  i know our daycare is filling up. 

good luck

image Sandy RIP 1-11-09 imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I started emailing and calling places to inquire about rates and availability when I was about 5 months pregnant. Visited and put a deposit down a couple months before DD's birth.

We were most comfortable with a day care center, and I found most places had at least 2-3 open spots. In-home day cares might have a wait list because they have a fixed amount of children.

• Options

Where have you looked if you don't mind me asking?  I have looked at a few places and all are booked.  I am on 2 waiting lists so far.

Thanks

• Options
    I have a few places in mind but haven't even called them yet.  However, you just motivated me to get on it!  : )
  • Options

I started looking early on when I was six months pg. I applied and enrolled recently but was worried that they wouldnt have a spot. I wasnt due to August and DD was born 3 weeks early. I called the daycare place the week she was born and got her in. Although the place I am taking LO to usually has a waiting list because they are good and not expensive. I looked at a few places most wanting almost $300 a week. With less people caring for the infants than the one that I liked the best. The one I found that will be with my LO is through the School District where we live.

Good luck and happy hunting.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"