Georgia Babies
Options

Tell Me About the Atlanta Area

Hi Ladies!

My DH has accepted a one-year adjunct position at GSU.  I'm currently looking for a job in the area because it looks like his position could become long-term and we think it would be nice to settle down in the Atlanta-area. 

I've been looking at suburbs outside the perimiter.  Two that stick out to me are Suwanee and Peachtree City.  I was hoping you all could offer your insight.  I have heard horrific things about Atlanta traffic, but I'm in the DC area now and a 45min to 1hr commute seems normal to me.  Is this what I would expect coming from these towns?  I most likely would also work downtown.

He'll be living there part-time and coming back here (DC) on the weekends for the time being.  If we indeed are going to make GA permanent, we will start looking for houses now and I'll move out with the kids once I have a job there.  I am looking for a SAFE, small to medium-sized town that is family oriented.  Please let me know what you think.  TIA!

Re: Tell Me About the Atlanta Area

• Options
    Peachtree City is a GREAT area...its a very cute town with lots of shops....they are a golf community and you will find people carting around all the time. Fayette County schools are excellent. Now....the only thing is you will be on the southside of Atl.....many people argue that the northside of Atl is nicer (with the exception of Peachtree City - it is probably the nicest southside city). Your commute will be a little over an hour I think - or maybe right at an hour (depends on what time you are leaving in the morning/aftrenoon). I would say with light to no traffic, it would take 45 min or more.....so I am guesing that a little over an hour could be expected if traffic is heavier. I have heard that Suwanne is awesome as well, but I am more familiar with the southside suburbs.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I live on the southside of town (Newnan, Coweta County).  I'm about 15 minutes from Peachtree City.  I love living down here.  We have lots of restaurants and shopping.  We're also about 20-25 minutes from the airport.  The commute wouldn't be bad at all into downtown Atlanta (as long as there aren't any bad accidents clogging up the interstate).  PTC is a great area.  I have a lot of family and friends that live there.  It's a golf cart community so many people drive golf carts instead of regular cars.  If there is any downside to PTC, it would be that it's about 7 miles off of Interstate 85 while Interstate 85 runs right down the middle of Coweta County.  I can be on the interstate within 5 minutes of my home.  Good luck with deciding on a new area to relocate to.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Peachtree City is one of my favorite cities in the 'burbs. ?I'm in Newnan and PTC is only about ten minutes away. ?Newnan is growing and more affordable than PTC, so it is a good alternative. ?I work in the school system here and would send my son to almost any school in our county.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

GSU ....so he will be midtown/downtown.

I've lived in Atlanta for 10-years and have never been to Peachtree City so I can't say much about it, although he is going to have a hell of a commute.  It seems more common for people to live North of Atlanta though so maybe that would help with traffic since it is farther south.

Swannee is cute.  My friend lives there.  I think it was voted one of the top 20 small cities to live in last year.  But he is again going to have to drive.  My friend's husband works flex hours (7 am - 4 pm) and works at the perimeter and  it takes him an hour each way.  With traffic you are looking at 1.5 hours in traffic.  I'd say probably 1.5 hours for Peachtree and Swannee each direction.

Atlanta is all about what your trade off is about.  You can get a bigger, nicer, newer house outside the perimeter (OTP) but you are going to have one of the worst commutes in the country.  Or you can live inside the perimeter in a smaller home for the price and have a shorter commute.  We prefer to live in closer with the smaller house.   We live in the Northlake Decatur area.  I use to work down from GSU and it took me about 25 minutes in traffic which wasn't too bad.

Good luck!!! Your husband should ask around GSU for where people live too. 

• Options
    I'm new to the city and can't comment on either place, but just wanted to add that I've lived in DC and NYC and the traffic here is by far the worst I've ever seen. We do love it here, though!

BabyFetus Ticker
    It's a BOY!

CafeMom Tickers
  • Options

If he is working at GSU, you might want to think about living intown.  I have lived near downtown since I moved here 9 years ago.  Check out Grant Park, Oremwood, East Atlanta Village, Inman Park.  There are tons of great places inside the perimeter where you could just ride your bike to work.

Haven't been to PTC or Swanee but good luck on your search and welcome to Atlanta! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"