Baby Names

Would you avoid a name because of initials?

We like the name Brady and like the middle name James with it.  So initials would be BJM....we would never use the nickname BJ, but would you avoid something like that altogether?

Re: Would you avoid a name because of initials?

• I don't think it's a big deal at all.
  • I went to school with a boy whose first and last initials were BJ. I don't remember him ever getting made fun of. I think guys find it cool for guys, but I wouldn't do it to a girl. The boys probably would make fun of her.
    Blank!
  • Loading the player...
  • I would avoid a name if the initials were really bad, but I think BJM is fine. It's not like he's Aaron Steven Smith or Frank Ulysses Karter.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My first and middle initials are BJ and I've never had a problem.
  • kyna81kyna81 member

I don't think it is a big deal.  DH is BJF, Brett James.  I like the name Brendan James. 

Now, I like the name Emily Lauren, but with F as the last name, it would be ELF.  That's a bigger deal to me than BJ, and won't be using it.

• Only if it spells something crude and offensive.

Hubby's initials are BS.. and he did hate that growing up.  So our kid will probably not have a B name.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was friends with a Brian James in HS.  He actually went by BJ and never had a problem with it.
    CafeMom Tickers
    CafeMom Tickers
  • If you're not using the nickname BJ then I wouldn't worry about it. Most people other than family and close friends probably won't even know his mn anyway.

BTW, your DS is precious! What an adorable picture...

• I think it's just fine.
  • I definitely would avoid!  My initials since I got married are B.J.S.  I couldnt' do that to a kid!
  • I would avoid it.
    photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • I don't think that would really bother me as much.  Maybe if it was first + last I would try to avoid it, but most people won't even know his middle name unless he points it out.

My parents almost didn't realize that the name they picked out for me would make my initials A S S.  So I think it's a good thing to think about, since I came really close to having horrible initials!  They didn't realize it until they were filling out the birth certificate!

• I would avoid it. I love monograming things like baby blankets for friends and if I saw those initials I would think, "Poor kid" because children are really mean.?
  • Yeah, I guess I would. We were thinking of Benjamin Joseph but were planning to avoid the combo for that same reason.  
  • DH and I discussed this scenario (initials being BJ) and we decided we would avoid those names.
    imageimage
  • My BIL initials are STD so he avoids using them, but BJM is fine IMO.
    A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • DH's brother's initials were BJM. When he was like 8 he told DH he wanted to be called BJ and my DH was like NO. And that was that. LOL

• my DH initials are BJM---but never nicknamed BJ.
  • No, I don't think there's anything wrong w/that.  Keep in mind, traditional monogram is firstname, lastname, middlename initials so that would be bMj

• ibisibis member
    I think it's fine. I knew a guy in HS who went by BJ and he was considered a cool kid.
  • My husband's initials are BLJ and he gets snickers even from people in their 40's.  He actually decided against any B first names since we are having a girl,b/c he thinks it could become issue in middle school. I'm trying to con him into Brooke or Bethany for a mn.
  • I'm a high school teacher and here the students don't really use that term anymore. In fact, in one of my classes a student mentioned that that's what his parents called it and he had to clarify for most of the class. (Yes, I put a stop to the conversation! Not that it helped...) This might just be a regional thing though. And, of course, the term will probably be used again as everything old becomes new again at some point. But I wouldn't worry about it. Most kids don't talk about what their initials are.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't think it's a big deal at all. My hubs works with a guy who goes by BJ. Very cute and successful. I don't think he ever got grief for it!
  • In your case, no. I would if it was a crude initial combination.
  • No- our son has the initials BRA so I don't think BJ is that bad.  It's a pretty common "initials name" and since you wouldn't even call him that, it's no big deal.  I might stay away from initials that spell ass, sex, or some sort of animals, though...
  • I don't think it matters all that much.
  • My DH's initials are GAG, lol!  I don't think it's that big of a deal, but we're making an effort to try to pick a name that has the least amount of "teasing possiblities".  Of course, kids can be mean, and if they want to make fun of someone, they're going to do it regardless!
  • imagedesik:
    I don't think it's a big deal at all.

I agree. Now if their Initials spelled ASS then I would be reconsider. 

• Almost every morning, on my way to work, I end up behind a woman whose license plate is also her name.....BJ Aken.  I laugh every time.

However, I do think of names as initials.  It's because I hate when people take the initials and make it into a nickname (BJ, JT, MJ, etc).  The 2 initials I would really avoid, though, is BM.  In my field BM means Bowel Movement so whenever any of us at work see those letters together that's what we think of.  :-)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Personally I don't think BJM would be a problem. DH and I were talking about names and want to name our first son after one of our close friends who past away (Patrick). DH is a 3rd and we agreed we won't be passing his name along, but would like to use it as a middle name (Michael). I think Patrick Michael sounds great together.. but our last name begins with an S. and DH gave me a big thumbs down on our son having the intials PMS.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think that with the mn initail being J people wouldn't be likely to call him "BJ"  But I always think about the initials because I am often called by mine (don't really know why either, like asked to be or even liked it.  Just started in HS with sports and again at work w/the name change...  weird)
  • BJM isnt bad. Most kids wont pick up on it for a long time anyhow because its not like he will be using his middle name all the time. My brother is BMW which is kinda funny to me. I would avoid things like PEE or WUS, obvious things like that. I think youll be okay.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"