Breastfeeding
Options

Does it get easier?

My DD was born last Wednesday and her weight is an issue. She lost more than 10% of her original weight. She eats about every two hours. It takes her about an hour to feed. She spends about 15 minutes in each breast and then I give her whatever I had pumped Usually about 1 or 2 oz and sometimes I have to give her formula if she is still hungry. After I feed her I have to pump for 20 minutes and then feed her again 30 minutes later. I'm so tired. I'm tired of washing the pump I'm hoping this gets easier soon.

Re: Does it get easier?

• Options

Yes, it does.  Much easier.

For now, don't wash the pump between sessions. Stick it in the fridge and save your sanity  =)

My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

YES!!  Congrats on your LO, it does get easier but those first 6 weeks or so are HARD.  Just remember, you can do it so never quit on a bad day. 

5/08- blighted ovum, spont ab; 2/20/09- epi, VAVD, Girl! breastfed 24mo; 10/10- blighted ovum, spon ab; 12/10- no fetal pole, Cytotec; 11/20/11- unmedicated SVD, Girl! breastfed 18mo; 11/7/13- unmedicated SVD, breastfed 18mo; 2/11/16- unmedicated SVD, exclusively pumping to at least a year.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm only 5 weeks in and I know it will continue to get better for me as well, but I can tell you that is has slowly gotten easier day by day, week by week.  Just go with it and you'll be fine.  Also--can you get a spare set of pump parts so you're not washing them so often?
  • Options

yes, I promise. And when you get to a certain point you'll think "i am so glad I stuck it out!" Once I hit 2 weeks it stopped hurting too. I 2nd the PP-dont bother washing parts-stick them in the fridge!

Pumping after feeding with a pain but it was so worth it since it really helped me establish my supply. I have a friend who always said she was going to pump and didn't, and even now she's struggling with supply. Everyone is different, but still.

Im not knocking FF, but besides all the health benefits for you and the baby I wish someone would have told me these things when I asked the same question:

1) In the long run, it is enormously convenient to BF rather than FF. Going to walmart for a quick trip? No need to pack a bottle and worry about keeping it cool, warming, it, then having to wash it, etc. Just slipping into a fitting room or feeding in the car is so convenient.

2) FREE

3) helps you lose weight!

• Options
    why are you pumping?  to increase supply?
  • Options

Yes it gets much easier! It just takes time! 

Are you pumping after every feeding? This could be part of the problem if your body doesn't have enough time after pumping to build up more bm for your LO's next feeding less than 1 hr later.

For the first 2 months or so DS would nurse for 45 mins to an hour - at least 20 mins per side but after 2 months the pedi/LC had me switch to feeding one side as long as DS wanted and topping off with the other. My advice would be to keep the baby on the breasts longer and do less pumping. This will also help your supply since the baby is much better at stimulating your supply than the pump.

When do you see the pedi again? If you call I'm sure they'll let you come in for weekly weight check ups and that will help you know if your LO is doing better and give you piece of mind. My LO lost nearly 20% of his body weight in the first 5 days but gained it all back plus some in 2 weeks.

You're doing great and keep it up! It is so worth it in the end and it gets so much easier!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Yes, it will get easier!  I too had to pump to supplement after each feeding.  My ds got a late start nursing due to a NICU stay after birth.  He lost weight after discharge and had a poor latch.  I was instructed to supplement 16oz/day on top of attempting to nurse every 2-3 hours.  Fortunately I was able to have dh give him the supplement after I nursed while I pumped, but it still seemed like a neverending cycle of nurse, pump, wash pump, repeat, without a break.  I was so frustrated and thought we'd never get the hang of it.  I ended up buying several extra pump parts so I wouldn't have to wash them as often.

Hopefully she'll be up to her birth weight very soon and you'll get the green light to stop supplementing.  It took my LO a few weeks to really get good at feeding - even now his latch is less than perfect but he manages to get what he needs.  He's become more efficient and is gaining weight very well.  Now we're struggling with reflux, so it's always something, but after getting through those first couple of weeks I feel confident we can get through this, too.

Try and find a LC you can call with any problems.  Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"