Cincinnati Babies
Options

BF and EP Moms

I am planning on breastfeeding then pumping when I go back to work and would love some advice on what to register for.

I am planning on renting a pump from the hospital just until I know for sure BF is going to work for us then i'll buy a pump. Reccomendations for pumps?

What types of storage bags do you use? Any other items I should register for?

Thanks so much for your advice. I really don't know anyone who has had kids let alone BF so I'm clueless.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers image

Re: BF and EP Moms

• Options

I have the Medela Pump in Style.  I haven't started using it at work yet but use it twice a day now at home to build my freezer stash.  I really like it so far.  I use the lanisoh freezer bags. 

I would register for a breast feeding cover of some sort to make breast feeding in public more comfortable.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    kel716kel716 member

I use the Medela PISA (shoulder bag).  I've EP'd for 11 months and have no complaints.  Medela is GREAT for cust. service.  (they replaced my tubing and my car adapter free of charge- even included shipping costs).  Medela parts are sold at Target, BRU, and sometimes Meijer/Walmart, which makes it more convenient to get replacements. 

Other good pumps- Ameda Purely Yours and the Lansinoh double electric.  They are actually the same pump, the Lansinoh is just cheaper and doesn't come with a bag to put it in (think cheap bag from Target).  The nice thing about these pumps is they are a closed system and milk cannot back up into the pump... though I've never had a problem with my PISA. 

I used the Lansinoh storage bags.  You don't need many at first unless you have oversupply problems, etc...  which you won't know until the baby arrives. 

I also think it's a good idea to take a BF class with your dh around 7.5-8.5 months preggo. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Burlington Baby Depot occasionally has 25% of Medela pumps.  If you can keep an eye out for these sales, it's probably the best deal you'll find.
  • Options

I also have the Medela Pump in Style Advanced and really like it.  I got it at Burlington Baby Depot when they had 25% off all Medela supplies.  It was the best deal I could find.  I did exactly what you are thinking about doing...rented a pump from the hospital for about a month and then went and bought my pump.  I pump 3X a day 3X a week so I ended up getting a few extra bottles to pump into/feed from.  I also use the Lansinoh bags for my freezer stash and I really like them (I've used a couple other brands but like this brand the best).  I carry a burp rag, extra storage bags and the Medela cleaning wipes in my pump bag.  But typically I don't clean the parts after every pump...I just put them all (minus the tubes) in the fridge.  That was a tip someone here gave me to save some time.  Then I put all the parts in the dishwasher at the end of the day.  Best of luck to you!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I don't EP, but I BF and pump one or 2 times a day.  I applaud you and any others that are able to EP...I could never do it!

Anyways I have the Lansinoh pump and I've been very happy with it.  It is a closed system so milk can't back up into the tubes like it can with the Medela....although I don't now how often that actually happens.  I haven't found a place to buy replacement parts, but you can order them online.  I did it once and it arrived quickly.  It doesn't come with a bag, but I just use the black similac diaper bag I got from my OB.  I can fit my pump, the parts, an insulated bag for the milk, a washcloth and medela wipes in the bag.

I use the lansinoh storage bags and they work great!  Just lay them flat to freeze them put in a large freezer bag to store.  When you defrost them in the fridge, I recommend putting them in a ziploc bag first because I've had a few leak, not alot, but a few.   That way you won't loose the milk!  It happened to me once, and never again!

• Options
    Same as PPs really.  I have the PISA and LOVE it!  I got mine from Hackley Healthcare online for cheaper than in the stores and I think it is cheaper than at Burlington with 25% off but not positive.  I also used Lansinoh bags for storage in the freezer.  One thing I did was write how much was put into the bags b/c the bags NEVER read right (I tried MANY different ones)!  Good luck!  Also, I EBF except while working and the pump was very good at keeping my supply up :-)
    Our kids are 19mths apart and we LOVE it!!

Married to my BFF on 8.13.05 (after dating 5 years)!

DS born 2.14.08. DD born 9.30.09.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"