Baby Names

Nothing is jumping out at me!

I am so sick of looking at baby names.  I need to stop until we find out the sex but I'm just an obsessive personality.  Plus, I love our girls name possiblities (probably Charlotte but maybe Tess).  We were dead set on Eli Thomas for a boy but DH doesn't want to use anything too popular.  (We'll probably move back to Texas in a few years and Charlotte isn't even the top 100 there).  Eli isn't as popular but it feels like Noah, Eli and Caleb are everywhere right now.

Anyway, I look at this forum everyday and I am not seeing anything.  DH isn't really on board with Reid and he's vetoed ("Little Man") Tate.  We like names that have been around for a while but aren't overly used.  Also, they absolutely cannot end in an N because I refuse to jump on that bandwagon. 

Our last name sounds just like "Jenny" so we won't do anything that ends in a Y or -ee.  No J names or B names because I don't want the initials BJ.  Also, we don't like nicknames so if we were always going to call him Will (for example) we wouldn't name him William.  Any ideas???

Re: Nothing is jumping out at me!

• My boys are Miles and Jonas. My criteria was/is that they can't be oevrly common, but they can't be off the wall. I'm a bit sad to say that I have been seeing Miles more and more (at least on the nest). We are not sure what we are having this time, but we are leaning towards Seth for a boy. Others we are mulling over are Elijah, Ezra, and Micah.

I'm having a tough time with girl names. What can I say...we've had a bit of practice with boy names.

• Miles is a great example of a name I would like but it's my cousin's name so it's out.  Jonas starts with a J so it's out too.

DH is Mike so Micah is out.  Ezra sounds too feminine to me and Elijah is too popular.  Not crazy about Seth.

*sigh*  This is how I am with every name I see.  They either break one of my rules or I'm just meh about them. 

DH suggested "Cotton" last night.  Cotton.  As in Cotton.  I just stared at him.  FIRST of all, it's Cotton.  Second of all, it ends with an N. 

• Loading the player...
  • Our pick for a boy was Jameson, although it doesn't sound like you want a J.

Other boys names I like

Henry, Nolan, Griffin, Alexander (although that's really common), Tristan, Jude, Thomas, John, Nathaniel

You'll be surprised if you take a break some of the names that just aren't doing it for you might sound better.

• I tend to think it is hard to find a boy name with a wow factor, since most of them are very traditional.  Oddly, a lot of my favorite names end in -en or -on, even though they aren't trendy names (Ben, Nathan, Aaron, Stephen, etc.).

Here are some that fit your criteria. None of these end in "N," start with "J" or "B" or end in "y" or "ey"...

Grant, Graham, Tanner, Spencer, Christopher, David, Andrew, Samuel, Paul, Carter, Connor, Hayes, Cole, Garrett, Abram, Alex, Everett, Fisher, Luke, Pierce, Lukas, Nick/Nicholas, Russell/Russ, Adam, Trent, Tyler, Wade, Wyatt, Zach/Zachary, Caleb, Daniel, Isaac, Mark, Noah, Thomas, Paul

For some more ideas, try going here and clicking on "by category." They have tons of lists of ideas like "If you like Finn, you'll love..."

https://babynames.thecradle.com/Search.aspx

• So I understand not wanting the initials JB, but why no B names?

• What about Davis or Porter? I love those names.
  • I'll give my honest opinion. I think you are being too picky. I understand not wanting to use B names, but why not J? Jeremy Jenny doesn't sound weird. A lot of J names don't sound bad with your last name. Also, why can't it end with an N? This is what I mean by being too picky. You are eliminating A LOT of great names that you may love. Also, Eli is NOT overly popular at all. I understand not wanting to use a name that is in the top 10, but I don't know anyone named Eli. I wouldn't say that name is ridiculously popular. I also don't think Noah or Caleb are overly popular either. Just my two cents.
  • We already have a Davis so I agree that I love that name!  I can't believe how often I see it on here.  Definintely unusual IRL.

No B names because his/her initials would be BJ.  BJ to my friends is slang for "Bl0w J0b" so even if people think that's too much of a stretch - I refuse to have those be the initials.

I think Jeremy Jenny or John Jenny or any JJ names don't sound good.  If I was absolutely obsessed with a name, I could possibly overlook this but it seems like too much.

I am being picky - I definitely agree.  It was really easy for us to decide on DS's name and I love our girl names so hopefully we'll just have a girl this time and be done with is.  I probably should take a break for a while.  I think the thing I'm being the pickiest about is the popularity factor.  I Zack or Eli sound great but I don't want him to be Eli J. his entire school life. 

I'm still waiting for that moment where I hear a name, tell DH and we both say, "I really like that!" ... then we would see fireworks, kiss, and have everything embroidered.  haha

• erinmserinms member
    What about:
    ?
    Nate
    Zeke
    Cal
    Trent
    Blake?
  • Our boy name was a family name - Charles (Charlie)

But I also love Colin, Drake, Syler and Henry

• I don't know any Elis  IRL. I don't think it's that popular. Good Luck!
  • imageFutureMrs.Steen:
    I'll give my honest opinion. I think you are being too picky. I understand not wanting to use B names, but why not J? Jeremy Jenny doesn't sound weird. A lot of J names don't sound bad with your last name. Also, why can't it end with an N? This is what I mean by being too picky. You are eliminating A LOT of great names that you may love. Also, Eli is NOT overly popular at all. I understand not wanting to use a name that is in the top 10, but I don't know anyone named Eli. I wouldn't say that name is ridiculously popular. I also don't think Noah or Caleb are overly popular either. Just my two cents.

Ditto that. ?I think you're WAY too picky with some of your "rules". ?My son's name ends with an 'n' and isn't trendy at all (Anderson). ?A lot of 'J' names sound fine with a 'J' last name. ?I think you need to take a break and come back to this in a few months, since you've got two trimesters to work on this.?

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"