Stay at Home Moms
Options

Experiences with overnight trips without baby?

I am a SAHM and I am going out of town in September for 2 days (my twins will be 7 mths and daddy will be with them the whole time).  Someone old me that the babies might have issue with mom being gone so long.  What's your experiences with overnight trips?

Re: Experiences with overnight trips without baby?

• Options
    We left DS with my parents for 2 nights around 8 months while we went out of town.  He did great!  They just made sure to keep to his bedtime schedule and he didn't have any problems sleeping and they kept him busy during the day.  I think he did better than I did Smile!
    BabyFetus Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

We have taken 6 or 7 overnight trips without DS - shortest being 1 night, longest being 1 week. The first night away was when he was 3 months old.  He has always (thus far) been fine. We have my MIL watch him and she follows his regular routine, etc.

I have also done 3 or 4 weekends away leaving DS with DH - again, always fine (DH gets tired, though! lol). Just in the past few weeks, DS has started to act out a bit regarding DH being gone (he has been working insane hours) - just being crabby, not wanting his dad to do certain things with him when he is home, taking a while to warm up to DH when he does see him, etc. It is usually short lived and not that bad - it could also just be a "mommy" stage he is going through.

Have fun!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I left Kitcat with my parents for 12 days when she was 6months old, 10 days when she was just over a year, and then just over a week when she was 15months old.  We're planning on leaving her with them again in September for a couple of weeks.  She does just fine!  She loves going to their house (at least, she's always smiling in the pictures and talking up a storm in the videos they take).  
  • Options

I'm sure your babes will miss you a lot, but they'll be with their father, who is probably the second most important person to them (behind you of course)!!  Seeing as your the primary caretaker (by default as you are SAHM) going away will be great for him to bond with the kids one on one and figure out their relationship without you being around to save the day. 

I left DD with my H when she was just under a year and they had a blast.  Have a good trip!  I hope you're doing something fun!

• Options

imagedrunkenwife:
    I left Kitcat with my parents for 12 days when she was 6months old, 10 days when she was just over a year, and then just over a week when she was 15months old.  We're planning on leaving her with them again in September for a couple of weeks.  She does just fine!  She loves going to their house (at least, she's always smiling in the pictures and talking up a storm in the videos they take).  

I'm not being critical but you get a good amount of time away!  Do you and your H go on vacation?  That is great that your parents take your LO for so long.

• Options

We had done a few overnights since DS was born.

He was the oldest at 10 months in May when we left him with my cousin for 2 nights. He did great. He missed us for sure but had fun and played like his happy self. The will miss you but be happy with daddy. When you come back they will light up with glee and you will feel loved. Enjoy your time away.

Colin Patrick-7/14/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I wish all of those times were "vacation" times.  Mostly we take a few days just to hang out and stay up late and be our "childless" selves :)  And the rest of the time I'm dealing with deadlines and projects for my classes.  It's just really nice sometimes to get a break to kind of reconnect as a couple on a level that doesn't involve children.  If we lived closer to them we'd probably have her spend the weekends with them once a month or so.

When I was a kid, my parents left me with my grandparents one weekend a month (or more if I really really begged, ha!).  I loved staying there; I got to have frosted flakes before bedtime!  :D

• Options
    granted, DD was 10 mos when i went away for the 1st time.  she did great w/ her daddy.  didn't seem to miss me at all UNTIL i got home.  then she was pretty clingy for a couple days.  no real problems here.
  • Options
    Haven't done it yet- and honestly it really hasn't crossed my mind or appealed to me. However I am sure your DC will be fine and enjoy it.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I've left DD for two long weekends, and she was totally fine (DH was with her).  She was happy to see me when I got home, but I was only gone for 3 days.  If I'd been gone longer, I think she might have started to get upset.
  • Options
    I was away for 3 days when DD was 10 months old.  DH took time off to stay with her.  I knew she would be fine, but thought he would surely go crazy!  But they both enjoyed themselves -- no trauma at all.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"