Baby Names

Is this offensive?

DH and I found out we're having a boy on Tuesday and he always wanted to name in Michael Samuel, after his two grandfathers that were very highly decorated in the Marines and Army respectively. I'm not fond of the name but respect why he wants to name DS that, but I want to call him something different than Michael. Problem is, there's been a Michael in every generation of his line each with a different nn so Mike and Mikey are taken. I want to call him Mick, partly because we were married in Disney and because my family are die hard Yankee fans. I'm 100% Spanish and my DH is less than 50% Irish. Is it therefore degratory to call DS Mick or Mickey if he is about a quarter Irish? I never even heard of it being a racial slur until my DH told me that this morning. I'm trying to like the name Michael but I don't and I thought Mick/Mickey would be a nice way to honor his grandparents while having a bit of my side in there too.

Proud Mama to Mickey (12.03.09) and Nemo (06.06.13)

Re: Is this offensive?

• It can be used in a deragatory fashion, but my DH's grandfather was a Michael and went by Mick and was Irish (from Ireland), so it's fine IMHO.

?Transatlantic Blonde?
    it's called a kilt, he's scottish
  • Leap08Leap08 member
    I know several Michaels that go by Mick, and one was Irish. I don't think it's offensive at all. When "Mick" is used in a derogatory fashion it is the context and way it is said that makes is derogatory. It's not the name itself. 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Can you pick a first name that you both like and use Michael and Samuel as two middle names?  I'm all for using family names, but I think it's important that you LIKE the name your child will have.

And to me....sorry, "Mick" sounds derogatory no matter who uses it.  What about Mitch?  That could be a nn for Michael.

Or can you use Samuel as the first name? 

• It took on the derogatory usage precisely because it's such a common Irish nickname. I don't think anyone is going to think you named your son a racial epithet.  If your H or his family is offended by it, that's different, but if you're just concerned about appearances to the general public, I wouldn't worry.

I think Mickey avoids this worry, and he can always go by a different variant else when he gets older if he feels he's outgrown it.
  • If you don't like Michael, why not name him Miguel? It's a little different than Michael but still honors his grandfather. Or what about Samuel Michael?

• you were married in Disney??? ME TOO!!!! I was married at the Wedding Pavilion on 12/1/07 and had our reception at Narcoosees at the Grand Floridian.

What about you??

Married my BEST FRIEND on December 1, 2007. Started TTC in March 2008. Found out we were expecting our first child in October 2008 - but had a m/c in December 2008 - resulting in a d&e. Met with a RE in May 2009 and set a plan - but conceived unexpectedly on our own! Our precious little Sophia was born on February 9, 2010! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Sorry, but to me, Mick is a derogatory term (Irish or not).

How about using the nicknames Micah, Sam, or Samuel? Since you are Spanish, would you consider the name Miguel Samuel?

He would still be named after both grandfathers and it would incorporate your heritage.

• imagejillianjigs7:

you were married in Disney??? ME TOO!!!! I was married at the Wedding Pavilion on 12/1/07 and had our reception at Narcoosees at the Grand Floridian.

What about you??

We basically eloped and had it on 08.07.08 which was our 4th anniversary since our first date. We had our ceremony at the Boardwalk, photo shoot at Epcot (siggy pic) and "reception" (there was just us and the two witnesses) at the Yachtsmen.  Our last night we went to Narcoosees (*love it*) and then a week later had a church ceremony for 200+ to see.

• Sorry, but to me, Mick is a derogatory term (Irish or not).

Same  here.

• I have never in my life heard Mick used derogatory so I had no idea it was until this thread. My brother is named Michael, but my mom has always called him Mickey. I think it's cute.?
  • imagemagsugar13:

Sorry, but to me, Mick is a derogatory term (Irish or not).

Same  here.

me too

• imageJinglesChic:
    imagejillianjigs7:

you were married in Disney??? ME TOO!!!! I was married at the Wedding Pavilion on 12/1/07 and had our reception at Narcoosees at the Grand Floridian.

What about you??

We basically eloped and had it on 08.07.08 which was our 4th anniversary since our first date. We had our ceremony at the Boardwalk, photo shoot at Epcot (siggy pic) and "reception" (there was just us and the two witnesses) at the Yachtsmen.  Our last night we went to Narcoosees (*love it*) and then a week later had a church ceremony for 200+ to see.

Thats so awesome!!! I recognized the photo!!! What a cool idea--elope and then have a big church service. Love it.

Married my BEST FRIEND on December 1, 2007. Started TTC in March 2008. Found out we were expecting our first child in October 2008 - but had a m/c in December 2008 - resulting in a d&e. Met with a RE in May 2009 and set a plan - but conceived unexpectedly on our own! Our precious little Sophia was born on February 9, 2010! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I really love this name and am thinking of using it myself - my DH and I are pretty Irish so I don't think anyone would think it was our intent.  I guess I wonder how many people think about it when they think of Mick Jagger (not that many, I'd guess).  All that being said, I think it is a legitimate concern but wouldn't worry about it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • When you call someone " a Mick" it's offensive, but Mick is actually a common Irish nickname for Michael.  Michael Collins, the famous Irish revolutionary, was called Mick.  So no, anyone who is Irish will not find it offensive.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ibisibis member
    No way... I'm half Irish and this is not a racial slur at all! It's an Irish nickname for Michael. It only became a slur in the sense that calling any Hispanic man you see "Pablo" or "Pedro" is a slur - just because some people use it to be rude does not make the name a bad word!
  • I've never heard of Mick being used in a derogatory way before. Sounds fine to me. But if you don't like the name you shouldn't use it. Can you use Samuel for the first name?
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• I just wanted to add that I was driving home and I saw a sign for Mick's Sub Shop and laughed because of this thread. Clearly that Mick hasn't been scarred!

I think you should go for it!?

• Thanks ladies =)

I'll probably just go with Mick and Mickey when he's a baby. I'm the whitest Spanard you'll ever meet (meant in a good way) so Miguel is out of the question. And I much prefer Michael as the first name than Samuel. DH, who has OCD with "strict" rules he needs to follow, says that it needs to be Michael first because he was master sargent while Samuel was a staff sargent. So higher rank is first. Don't ask, I deal with things like this all the time.

• Keep the name Michael Samuel...it is a beautiful name and will make your DH proud that he got to choose it! My DH's name is Michael and people call him Mickey which I think is a cute nn. Stick with it!
  • I've never even heard of that but then again someone called an Asian friend of mine a similar word (I don't want to write it) in HS and someone had to explain to me what it meant and why it was bad.

Thankful to have grown up naive about racial slurs.

• It can only be offensive if someone was saying it to someone in a derogatory manner, but Mick is not offensive. Mick Jagger?
  • I've never heard of that being offensive.  I know a Micael who goes by Mickey too...  But I agree with other girls that you should use something you both like...  I'm not a huge fan of 2 mn but maybe that would help your situation?  Or if you like Mickey and it could honor both of your wishes just call him that. 
  • I think Michael nn Mick is adorable. Never knew there was anything offensive about it. I am NOT, however, a fan of the nn Mickey...
  • Its offensive if used as such. But when you think about it, anything can be.

I think you can try it out and decide if you like it when he gets here, I also dont see it being a problem there being two Mikes in the family. My dad is James, his dad is James and his son is James...also my uncle and cousin are both names Richard. Talk about not being very original in my family. ha.

• never heard of Mick as a slur...DH is Irish....I suppose it is, but who cares?
  • mac is another nn for michael. i'm not a huge fan of mick because i can only picture mick jaggar.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"