Baby Names
Options

Kate.....nn Katie?

One of our new name possibilities for a girl is Kate, mn Elizabeth.  DH refuses to use a longer version of the name because he really only likes Kate.  I love that name for an adult, but I'm worried that it sounds too grown-up for a baby, so DH said that we should just call her Katie when she's a kid.

Do you think that's strange to lengthen a name to create a nickname? 

Re: Kate.....nn Katie?

• Options
    Do  I think it's strange? no.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    Its not weird to lengthen a name but I am a Kate...and I hated being called katie as kid. All the "katie's" in elementary school were Katherine's. I liked my name that way it was...just kate.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I like just Kate!
  • Options
    I think Kate is fine for a child, and yes, to me it seems odd to make a name LONGER for it's "nick" name.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    while i don't think it's strange to lengthen the name to katie, i think you should just stick with kate. i don't think kate is too grown-up at all. katie is cute too, but only if you love it as much as kate.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Not at all.  :)
  • Options
    I hate the trend of using nicknames as given names, but to answer your question, no, I don't think this is strange.   Kate:Katie::Anne:Annie
  • Options
    Kate is not too grown up for a baby... I actually prefer it to Katie.  And before I read your question, I did notice that the NN was actually longer than the real name.  Go with Kate! 
  • Options

I have your answer!!!

My parents loved the name Katie for me but my dad wanted something more formal. So they came up with Cathleen, I know, the "C" and the "K" thing makes no sense, and it was a pain all through my school years!  But growing up, they called me Kate as a nickname to Katie. Heres the thing, I wish they would have just gone with Katie the entire time, as I never am called Cathleen.

I think whether you go with Kate or Katie, you will always call her one or the other as a nickname. Heck, sometimes my parents called me Kates! PS, I love the MN Elizabeth for either. Smile

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I was Kathryn Leslie (I know a Kathryn Elizabeth and the reverse) but I go by Katie. I was named after my grandmother Kathryn, but she went by Kate.  Personally Katie would not be a nn for Kate.

I guess I'm biased but I like Katherine/Kathryn better.  And the child won't be writing out her full name.

• Options
    I like just Kate. And I think if you want to call her Katie, go for it. Nicknames are often more of an unplanned, organic thing anyway.
  • Options

Thanks for all of your opinions.  Maybe Kate will be ok for a baby.  I guess we'll just see what comes naturally if we decide to go with Kate. 

I know for sure that my DH will not go for a longer version of the name.  We've already had that discussion.  I had no idea that there was a trend to use "nicknames" as full names.  That doesn't bother me though. 

• Options

I'm old school.  I will preface my comments with that I am much older than most on here so I think there is a generational gap in these situations.

I think children should be given a longer "formal" first name and use the shorter name as a NN.

I have a friend named Cathy.  Just Cathy.  Not Catherine or something longer. 

We've been in the business world for years and it drives her crazy to have to apply for jobs just as Cathy as it doesn't look "right" on a resume... like she doesn't know the rules for applying for a job. 

She also hates it when managers/clients try to lengthen her name on a yearly review or some other "formal" document.  She feels "lacking" something because her parents appear to be "backwards" and didn't know how to name her "correctly". 

Another example - she was interviewing for an assistant and every thank you letter was written to Ms. Catherine XXXX.  The job applicants did not know that her name was simply Cathy and there was no formal version of it.  Obviously she did not hold it against any interviewee, but it was just weird.

TTC #1 for over 5 years - too many to count IF treatments (tried everything and anything), repeat miscarriages. Finally, Sticky Success!! B/G Twins arrived 2011. VOTE on my Name List Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ach427ach427 member

imagerosenjoe:
    I hate the trend of using nicknames as given names, but to answer your question, no, I don't think this is strange.   Kate:Katie::Anne:Annie

I agree. IMO Kate is a nickname. If you are going to call her by a whole different nickname anyway, you should name her Katherine, which is a full name.

Or you can name her Kate, if you love it, without 'announcing' it to everyone ("we're naming her kate but calling her Katie") - and call her whatever comes out of your mouth... which could end up being "honey" or "peanut" or "sweetie bumpkins" 

• Options
    I love the name Katie.  It was one of my choices for our LO....
  • Options
    imageKarlsSweetie05:

I'm old school.? I will preface my comments with?that I am much older than most on here so I think there is a generational gap in these situations.

I think children should be given a longer "formal" first name and use the shorter name as a NN.

?I have a friend named Cathy.? Just Cathy.? Not Catherine or something longer.?

We've been in the business world for years and it drives her crazy to have to apply for jobs just as Cathy as it doesn't look "right" on a resume... like she doesn't know the rules for applying for a job.?

She also?hates it when managers/clients try to lengthen her name on a yearly review or some other "formal" document.? She feels "lacking" something?because her parents?appear to be?"backwards" and didn't know how to name her "correctly".?

Another example - she was interviewing for an assistant and every thank you letter was written to Ms. Catherine XXXX.? The job applicants did not know that her name was simply Cathy and there was no formal version of it.? Obviously she did not hold it against any interviewee, but it was just weird.

While I agree with you, Cathy has never been a stand alone name like Kate is. Just Kate is very common for children born in this generation so I don't think Cathy's experience applies to the OP.?

To the OP: Kate is cute. I don't like Katie at all. Kate doesn't sound too old at all. If anything, I think it sounds young.

• Options

I love Kate and for some reason I don't like Katie at all. I think its associations with girls my age. Anyway...

We're using Kate as a middle name if our LO is a girl. We're not crazy about the lengthened Katherine ...It doesnt have the T sound like Kate. Just not into it either!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    i'm a katherine but my parents have called me kate my entire life. personally, i liked having the long name and going by kate, but i've never really gone by katherine. i also hated the name katie. some people assume that if youre name is katherine (kathryn, kathleen, etc.) that you can go by kate, katie, kat.....so maybe just using kate would be best? also, it sounds good with the middle name you have picked.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I agree with your DH...there are a billion Katie's.  My cousin just named her 2nd DD Kate Elizabeth.  Such a cute name!!  I like just Kate, even for a little girl/baby.

But, if you choose to, I don't think it's weird to call her Katie.

• Options
    imageKarlsSweetie05:

I'm old school.  I will preface my comments with that I am much older than most on here so I think there is a generational gap in these situations.

I have a friend named Cathy.  Just Cathy.  Not Catherine or something longer. 

We've been in the business world for years and it drives her crazy to have to apply for jobs just as Cathy as it doesn't look "right" on a resume... like she doesn't know the rules for applying for a job. 

She also hates it when managers/clients try to lengthen her name on a yearly review or some other "formal" document.  She feels "lacking" something because her parents appear to be "backwards" and didn't know how to name her "correctly". 

Another example - she was interviewing for an assistant and every thank you letter was written to Ms. Catherine XXXX.  The job applicants did not know that her name was simply Cathy and there was no formal version of it.  Obviously she did not hold it against any interviewee, but it was just weird.

I'm with you.  People are not taken as seriously in the business world when they are given nicknames as names. 

• Options

WOW.  People hate my name.  Oh well.  LOL

(I'm a Katie)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"