Baby Names

Nickname question

I've seen so many people (here and IRL) who tell me that their future child's name is XXX with YYY as a nickname.  Does everyone who picks a name intend to use a nickname?  I grew up with a 3 syllable name that easily shortens to several nicknames, but have never used one (even as a kid).  DH doesn't use a nickname.  No one in my family does (even the Kathleens and Roberts).  I can see it if the kid "develops" one ("Cricket" used to kick her legs like one, "Maddie" was the seventh "Madison" in her class, etc), but to plan one in advance sounds strange to me.

So, is there anyone out there NOT planning a nickname in advance?  Or am I totally in left field?

Re: Nickname question

• Our boys don't have nicknames. But, if the name is nickname-able, I would pick the one I wanted to use ahead of time.

For example, I am considering Emilia for a girl with the likely nn of Mila. 

• I have a 3 syllable name that is never shortened.  I grew up in a family that dislikes nicknames.  Philosophy is that if you want to "call" the kid X, then just name them X. 

Nicknames can become problems IRL.  Imagine trying to find your friend in a hospital [you KNOW he's there] but the name you are giving the front desk doesn't jive with their records.  Oh, well, that isn't patient's REAL name, it's really this horrendous name no one had ever heard of......

• Loading the player...
  • well I was named after my grandmother and her nn was Kate, she hated that and said the only way my mother could name me Kathryn after her is if they never called me Kate (she liked Katie, which I go by or the full name, Kathryn).  Kathryn is formal to me as I'm very outgoing and fit the name Katie.  But everyone is different.

I love the name Margaret and use the nn Maggie. 

I think I'm the only one that uses a nn in my family or DH's.

• I'm not a big nickname fan and especially picking it before the child is born.  I call our DS Buddy a lot- his name is Breckin- and that has seemed to stick with our friends and family but I never intended to call him that.  It just sort of started.
  • epphdepphd member

I think for names with common or lots of nicknames, it is helpful for the parents to choose one.  My name is Elizabeth, and my parents called me Elizabeth.  Growing up, when people asked me what I went by, I said "Elizabeth" but was invariably called Liz, Beth, Libby, etc. I didn't like any of the nicknames. Finally, when I went to boarding school I just told people that I went by Elly and that's what I was called. 

So if you have a Robert or Catherine or Daniel or Elizabeth - either choose a nn to call them or be prepared to parent a Bobby, Catie, Danny or Liz, because people will shorten the name no matter what. 

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • When I announced I was naming my son Jameson, my family immediately wanted to know which nickname I was going to use.  When I broke the news that I wanted to use the complete name, they had a fit!  If you don't want to use a nickname, don't do it but be prepared for some grief.
  • I had planned to use one with my DD Michaela b/c I didn't want her to be called Mickey by family member, but never ended upsing the nn I had picked once she was born (Mia).  I think I really wanted a nickname for her b/c I never had one so a three syllable name with a nickname seemed more appealing to me. 90% of the time we call her by her full name, the rest of the time we use Caelie, KK or Michaelie.

I don't think you are totally in left field not planning a nickname in advance.

• NannaNanna member
    We are purposefully choosing names that do NOT lend themselves to nicknames mainly because I am not a fan of them in general. ?Our DS's name is Dane. ?The name we choose for kiddo #2 will also be short and sweet and unlikely to tempt people into nn territory. ?This was the primary reason I vetoed DH's first choice name pick of James - because I didn't want to spend my life saying "his name isn't Jim/Jimmy/Jamie, it's JAMES."
    imageimageimage
  • None of my kids use nicknames.

My oldest 17 is named Danilo...people have tired ot call him, danny, dan, and a # of others. Iy has never stuck, EVERYONE calls him Danilo.

If i wanted to call him Dan i would have named him dan, i dont get that with people picking nicknames for their kids. if you want them to go by that name than just name tham that!

Sometimes nicknemas just happen, but it isnt very hard NOT to stick with it.

• Personally I don't like names that can be nicknamed...due to my personal experience. My legal name is Deborah but my family/everyone calls me Debbie. 

Our son is "Jack" everyone said oh so you're naming him John and calling him Jack? Nope he's straight up "Jack"

• imageNanna:
    We are purposefully choosing names that do NOT lend themselves to nicknames mainly because I am not a fan of them in general. ?Our DS's name is Dane. ?The name we choose for kiddo #2 will also be short and sweet and unlikely to tempt people into nn territory. ?This was the primary reason I vetoed DH's first choice name pick of James - because I didn't want to spend my life saying "his name isn't Jim/Jimmy/Jamie, it's JAMES."

Ditto this 100%

We named our DD Sarah because it can't be shortened. I hate nicknames too. Our DS will most likely be Ethan and our DD Caroline.?

• Do people really insist on calling someone by a nickname even though the person doesn't go by that?  My name could easily be shorted into multiple NNs (think Christina - christi, tina, chris, kiki, whatever).  If I introduce myself as Christina, people call me that.  If someone asks if I use a NN, I say no.  And if someone were to ask for Tina, I wouldn't answer and would be honestly shocked by someone who continued to insist (or would make up a name to call them like Donald instead of Daniel). 

• imageepphd:

So if you have a Robert or Catherine or Daniel or Elizabeth - either choose a nn to call them or be prepared to parent a Bobby, Catie, Danny or Liz, because people will shorten the name no matter what. 

We have a few Roberts and Elizabeths and a Kathleen.  They all use a full name (adults and kids).  People will ask about NN, but no one seems to insist on using or creating one if they don't have one.

• Leap08Leap08 member

Here's how I see it. If you love a name, but don't like the nn associated with that name that's FINE. Insist that people call your child by their full given name. My nephew's name is Anthony, and he has always been called Anthony. He's 15 now and it is so not an issue. If you love a name and the nn assoicated with it, great name your kid that name and call them by the nn. The kid will eventually choose which one they want to be called. My name is Elizabeth. My parents called me Liz, and I've always like both. My husband's name is James. His parents called him Jimmy. As a teenager he decided he wanted to be James not Jim or Jimmy. Today everyone calls him James (except his mom). Some people like nn, some people don't. I just don't see why it matters. People will call you whatever name you use when you introduce yourself.  

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"