Baby Names

Rowan

Someone posted Rowan below, which got me thinking... What is your first impression of this name for a boy?

DH & I want to stick with Gaelic names so we really like this one. But we don't like trendy names at all, and I worry that people think of it as trendy not ethnic (Gaelic/English). For example, I really like both Declan & Liam but would not use them because they have become pretty trendy in our area. TIA!

Re: Rowan

• Well, to me it's a bit trendy, but where I am Declan has not caught on at all, so I guess it depends. I might go with something else, unless you really love it. I know as many girl Rowans as boys.
  • I love this name for both a girl or boy. It is our son's middle name. I do find it a little bit trendy now, but when I used it I didn't think it was.?
  • Loading the player...
  • I think of it solely as a girl's name.  For me, Rohan would be the masculine equivalent.  I love Liam and don't know of any, so I don't think it's trendy at all.
  • imagewheelenl:
    Well, to me it's a bit trendy, but where I am Declan has not caught on at all, so I guess it depends. I might go with something else, unless you really love it. I know as many girl Rowans as boys.

Exactly this...

photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • All I think about is rowing a boat. I've never met anyone named Rowan so it doesn't seem trendy to me, but it is popular on this board.

Ian is my favorite Gaelic boy name. I also love classics like Sean, Shane, Garrett and Brian. Owen is great, but very popular right now.

• it's more than trendy... it's poser.
  • The only reference I have for the name Rowan is from a book and the character was female.
  • I don't know of any girl Rowans - not IRL, not even in literature - and I think Rowan is a purely boy name. Think Rowan Atkinson and go for it! :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Every time I see it, I think of Rowan Atkins (Mr Bean).
    file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • I love the name Rowan. The Rowans I know in real life are in their twenties, very nice, and quite handsome. One is British. I have a great association with it. Don't listen to people who say it is a trendy name. It's a classic name.
  • I think Gaelic names in general are trendy in America right now. People are always looking for something different and/or creative and this is the genre that has caught on for the moment. That said, I still think Rowan is a great name. I would definitely consider how often it is used as a girl name though. I'd hate to be a boy and have people think my name is "girlie," but that's just me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm not a big fan of any of those names, but probably b/c I'm more traditional.  I think if you like a name, trendy or not, then you should use what you like.
  • I really like it and don't think there's anything "poser" about it if you really do have that heritage. Even if you don't, popular American names come from so many different places it hardly matters anymore. That being said, I don't know any Rowans except a very old great-uncle, but have heard it used for both boys and girls, and it's one of the few names that I like equally for both. 

• I think of Rowan as a boy name.  :)
  • I like ALL of your name choices. I think Rowan is great for a boy. I LOVE Declan, love.
  • My MBA is from Rowan University...so as far as a name goes i can oly think of one thing.

the only one i like is Liam, not so popular where i live.

• I don't know any girl Rowans and this was our top choice if LO was a boy.  I think it's still pretty ethnic but I also think Liam, even though it's popular, is still pretty ethnic.  We are Scottish and tend to lean toward Gaelic/Celtic/English names, too.
  • imagegjkhjr01:
    it's more than trendy... it's poser.

Well, that was rude.Indifferent

• I think it is an odd name for a girl, prefer the boy version.
  • My nephew is Rowan, so I think of it as a boy name.  Don't know of any other Rowans IRL, boy or girl.  His brother is Liam ~ love that, too!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I really like the name Rowan!  It is not common around here where I live (Southwest).  I don't know anyone with that name.
  • This is going to be our daughters middle name - we wanted a gaelic name, as well. Tagan Rowyn

I really see Rowan being a unisex name and definitely not trendy here in Texas

• We were going to name our son Rowan, but then on 2 different occasions we saw little girls in stores being called Rowan and my sister in laws friend just named her daughter Rowan... I love, love, love the name but I just really don't want my son to have a name that seems to be becoming popular with little girls! Just remember- It's your choice! Good luck! Boy names are so hard, because you want a strong, manly name but something different! Grr!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"