South Florida Babies
Options

starting sign language!!!

For those of you mommies who do sign language, any tips?  How long did you work a day on it or did you just do it non stop throughout the day?  What words should I begin with?  I've started with "play" and "food" so far since they're the words we use most often.  I just don't think she realizes what I'm doing lol 

Re: starting sign language!!!

• Options

we use a few signs but have found that when he signs those wrods, he becomes lazy and doesn't want to talk (and he can talk).

Anyway, milk, more, please, thank you, all done...are good ones to teach her! GL!!!

• Options

We first started with "more". Mostly because during meal time Riley would fuss and it was mostly because she wanted more food or more of a specific food and not what was on the tray. When ever we noticed this, we would sign "more" and say "more?". Make sure she's looking at you so she sees the signing and then I'd give her more of what she wanted while saying it and signing it again. Sometimes I would take her hand(s) and do the motion with her. Now, she uses more for all different situations-more kisses, more play time, more swimming. It's great to have that communication with them when they can't tell you exactly what they want. It's all repitition. I'd say it takes a few days for them to catch on to it. We taught her "more" around 8 months and within a week or two she picked it up. Now, that Riley is older, it only takes a couple days for her to pick up and repeat new signs.

Good luck, have patience and don't give up because it's great for them to learn and it has really helped us communicate better with Riley.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageVandRicky:

we use a few signs but have found that when he signs those wrods, he becomes lazy and doesn't want to talk (and he can talk).

Anyway, milk, more, please, thank you, all done...are good ones to teach her! GL!!!

my mom siad this would happen, but Abby's still not babbling.  I thought that maybe sign language would help her to not get so frustrated and she'd be able to communicate better.  But I'm afraid that it might delay the babbling even more :-/

• Options
    imagebritishbride05:
    imageVandRicky:

my mom siad this would happen, but Abby's still not babbling.  I thought that maybe sign language would help her to not get so frustrated and she'd be able to communicate better.  But I'm afraid that it might delay the babbling even more :-/

I was worried about this too but Riley does babbles and is talking a ton! But she can only say so many words and the sign language makes up for those gaps. Plus, when she signs now, I'll repeat the words she signs and she trys to repeat them verbally which is great to be able to see that she is making the verbal connection as well. I would say if you're worried about her babbling, to just keep the "signed" words to a minimum. More, please, all done or which ever words you think would work best for Abby.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

We started signing with Liam at about 6 or 7 months, but I don't think he really acknowledged it until about 10 months.  He didn't even wave bye-bye until about then.  His main signs now are eat, more and all done and that's all he's ever really been interested in using even though we've tried teaching him others.  He also didn't babble much and really didn't start talking at all (aside from Mama) until about 11 months and then he went from a few words to dozens in a matter of weeks.

I agree that it definitely helps communication - even when it's only a few signs, it helps a lot.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"