High-Risk Pregnancy

GD questions

Hello, my dr's office just informed me that I failed my 3hr and have GD. I apparently failed all 4 blood draws! They said they were calling me in a blood sugar monitor at my pharmacy and that they would follow up with me at my next appt (next friday).

So do you think I should be changing my diet now? They didn't mention anything to me and I don't even know what numbers are good to get and what to do if I get bad numbers when I check my blood sugar. Any answers/ advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

Re: GD questions

• I wish I could help you, but I can't even get my doctor to call me back about diet, testing, or anything! I had to call the triage nurse just to find out what to eat until I finally get called about an appointment. Hopefully you will have better luck. Sorry I am no help. :(
  • I was told to test when waking (that's your fasting) and it should be under 90. 2 hours after eating breakfast, lunch, and dinner. (Some Doctors will tell you after 1 hour though). After 2 my # is supposed to be 119 or under. I should never be under 70. After each meal approximately 2 hours you should eat a snack, something with carbs and protein. My diet is as follows:

Breakfast 30-45 carbs (ex: egg mcmuffin- both sides of muffin equals 30 carbs, the egg cheese and meat are protein).

Snack 15-20 carbs (ex: 1/2 a muffin and a piece of sausage)

Lunch 30-45 carbs (cheeseburger and apple slices (or a light yogurt)

Snack 15-20 carbs (nuts, cheese)

Dinner 45-60 carbs (tonight I'm having pork chops, mashed potatoes, corn)

Snack 15-20 carbs (same as before)

Pretty much it's all about counting your carbs and always combining them with protein. Cut out sugars i.e. cookies, cakes, soda, tea, etc. I was told to drink water or unsweet tea (you can use sweetner, no sweet n low). Also diet drinks are alright in moderation. I was also told no fried foods (sometimes I still have some fries though!). Don't get frustrated if you try things and they don't work for you even though it's within your carb amount. Example, I can not eat pasta. I've tried a couple times, no matter how many carbs worth I eat I get ridiculous numbers! On the occasions I ate french fries so far my numbers have been fine. Good luck and don't let it overwhelm you. It will be much clearer when you get that appointment and they will gear your diet to fit you and your life style!

• Loading the player...
  • My dr. had set up an appt. with a dietician. Here's the basics for me... Fasting numberur( 1st thing in the morning) under 95. Meal number 2 hours after 120. As far as changing your diet, I would. For me I have to really cut carbs in the morning, I usually stick to eggs, sausage, and wheat toast. Have a snack in between breakfast and lunch with about 15 carbs. For lunch try to stick to 35. Have another snack between lunch and dinner about 15 carbs. And dinner have about 45 carbs. That's what works for me. You will find certain foods affect you more... ( I can't eat peas at all). Also, exercise ( I walk for 20 min) helps lower numbers too. Hope that helps till you see your doctor next friday and remember you might be a little different than me. Good luck!
  • lujainlujain member
    I would definitely cut out all sweets immediately.  You don't want all that extra sugar affecting the baby.  No juices, either.  Limit your carbs, including fruit and milk.  Eat 3 meals and 3 snacks a day.  And always eat a protein whenever you eat a carb.  Eat more non-starchy vegetables and proteins, less carbs.
  • Thanks ladies! And thank you OP, for asking about this. I have been totally in the dark all week. 
  • I'm brand new to this too... My doc says I have to be 90 or below when I wake up in the morning, and 130 or below one hour after every meal. I was told the same carb amounts as the ladies above, about 30-45 per meal, and 15 is an okay snack. So far so good for me. I didn't react too well to a whole wheat english muffin this morning, so that's out. But a big sandwich at lunch yesterday was just fine.?

I would start at least a little bit cutting out any sugary junk you eat. But don't worry and go overboard! I definitely have had some panicky moments the last few days feeling like I can't eat anything, which of course is not true. Don't panic like I did!?

• i was diagnosed early (18 weeks) so I have had some time getting used to this :) My dr's don't go to the extremes of some of the above postings - - while I don't have juice or as many sweets, there are many days I will have ice cream (within carb limits) or chocolate (within carb limits) because as long as it is within my limits and doesn't affect my numbers then my dr. is okay with it. 

When I started, I could have 30 carbs for breakfast and all snacks, 45 - 60 for lunch, and 60-75 for dinner. Now, for lunch and dinner both they are 45-60.

I was diet controlled up until about 28 weeks - - and then had to go on night insulin for my fasting numbers - - I could not keep them under 95! All other numbers are fine. My limits are under 140 1 hr after meals, and under 95 for fasting.

If you run a search for Mama Jan on here she has a GREAT website with GD resources, menus, etc. General things I eat most often:

Breakfast: South Beach or fiber one bar, english muffin with egg/cheese, toast with PB

Snacks: pretzels with PB, fruit with string cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, veggies, fun size chocolate, nuts, 

Lunch: sandwiches, frozen meals that are high protein with low carbs

Dinner: most everything, just need to count the carbs! Fries used to be fine, but now they are not - sad! Tonight I had whole wheat pasta with sauce and my 1 hr was 120 - so you will get to know what works for you!

Night time snacks -  toast with PB and milk

• Thank you guys so much! Its been a difficult and emotional day and hearing all this is making it seem easier to handle.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"