Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Minimum Furniture?

So what's the bare minimum - we currently have a full sized bed that's been angled daybed style against one wall and a glider rocker with ottoman (my husband had it before we were even dating - weird!).  I know we can get a crib on one wall and a small 3 drawer dresser in our dormer/nook.  The baby won't have much closet space as I currently occupy the closets...do you think I'll need a changing table or can I get away with a topper on the dresser?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Minimum Furniture?

• Options
    Having the changer is nice, but it isn't necessary.  You can use the topper.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm just getting a pad for the top of our existing dresser...essentially we're taking the desk out of the office/guest room and putting in a crib.  But you might want to think about cleaning out half the closet for baby storage...they accumulate a lot of stuff and I view it as easier to deal with now than later.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Just do the topper on the dresser.
  • Options
    Topper on the dresser works great.
  • Options

We have a changing pad on top of the dresser in my son's room and it works out great.  I think purchasing a separate changing table would've been wasteful. 

For baby #2 we're getting rid of the queen size bed in the room to make way for baby but have the same issues with closets.  The guest bedroom closet is currently my husband's closet....and then I use most of the closet in the master (we have tiny closets).  We still haven't figured out what we'll do with the baby's stuff.

• Options
    Don't waste money on a changer, just use a pad on top of the low dresser, gives you much more space, storage, and has a purpose long after baby grows.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

If you're thinking you may need a changer in order to have room to store diapering supplies, just hang some shelves above the dresser. Pop a pad on top of the dresser--instant changing station! And the beauty of this plan is that you can SEE all your supplies easily--they will be at your eye level. I could never find anything when we used a changer--I would have to get on my knees to see what was on those little, narrow, useless shelves!

You could also hang shelves to use for baby's clothes--this could solve the closet dilemma. Can you tell I love shelves?? Something else to think about--go UP in your closet--if you have the room (my house has 12 foot ceilings throughout, even in the closets). You could move some of your stuff (seasonal, seldom worn, etc) on to shelves going UP in your closet to the ceiling and this would free up some lower space for baby stuff. I agree you will need quite a bit of room for baby stuff.

• Options
    Change table is the first thing to go if you're short on space IMO.  My DD had most of her changes on the couch or ottoman.  With my next we will do a change pad on the dresser for middle of the night changes.  All I plan on having is a crib, rocking chair and dresser.
  • Options
    We've decided that we won't be getting a changing table.  Just a topper.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"