TTC after 35

OPKs

AF came this morning so no BFP cycle #1 :(  I'd like to try using OPK this month.  Since I have no idea when or if I O, I'll probably need to start testing early.  Any not so expensive suggestions???

Re: OPKs

• You can get them at the dollar store on at www.early-pregnancy-tests.com.

However, I think more importantly, you're going to want to start charting your temps since you say you don't know if or when you ovulate.  Charting your temps is really the only way to be sure.  Even OPKs won't tell you if you ovulated in any given month - only if you were getting ready to.  You can get a positive OPK and still not ovulate.  Go to www.fertilityfriend.com and check it out.  It's free.

Also, if you haven't already read it, you should read Taking Charge of Your Fertility.

Good luck!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I know you said a not so expensive option but...I really recommend the CBE digitals. They are pricey, but there is no doubt if you got your LH surge. I've seen several posts on here where the folks aren't sure of the results when they are comparing lines.  Also the OPK will instructions will tell you when to start testing based on your cycle length.  Just my 2 cents.  Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • This month was my first to use OPKs and I bought the Answer brand at Walmart.  The package says Answer Daily Ovulation Tracker and comes in a tube with 20 test sticks and was $19.  It says to start testing right after AF but I waited a couple of days.  Once I started seeing faint lines I started wondering if it was really an evaporation line so I went to DollarTree and picked up some there for $1 and did those a couple of days as well.

On days that I got a dark line on the Answer sticks, I also got a dark line on the $Tree ones.  The days I got faint lines on Answer sticks, I got faint lines on $Tree also.

If I don't get my BFP this month, I'll most likely get the ones at $Tree from now on since they seem to be just as accurate as the Answer brand.

• QE2QE2 member
    To keep the cost down on OPKs, I would use the Clear Blue Easy strips until I started to see a second line, then I would switch to the CBE digital to take the guess work out of what's is positive or almost positive. Good luck.
    TTC since 3/08 DOR, High FSH, Hypothyroid, Uterine Polyps, blocked tube, MFI, 5 rounds of clomid, 5 IVF attempts, 2 hysteroscopies, 2 natural conceptions=2 losses (Methotrexate, D&C) Successful DE cycle twins born 10/7/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageQE2:
    To keep the cost down on OPKs, I would use the Clear Blue Easy strips until I started to see a second line, then I would switch to the CBE digital to take the guess work out of what's is positive or almost positive. Good luck.

I second this idea!  At the beginning this is what I used to do and was very definitely able to figure out I O when I saw that nice smiley face instead of guestimating with lines.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC #1 Cycle #18 m/c Jan. 9, 2007, chemical pg May 4, 2007, methotrexate shot Oct. 5, 2007--m/c Oct. 9, 2007, IUI Nov. 17, 2007 It worked! beta 11/30 & 12/6 TTC #2 Cycle #5 IUI July 20, 2009 -BFN 8-3-09 Cycle #6 IUI August 17, 2009-BFP! 8-31-09, beta 9-1-09, 9-8-09, saw the H/B 9-22-09 EDD 5-10-10
  • i also suggest temping and charting, checking CM

as far as OPK's they never really worked for me b/c i have PCOS, so i use the CBEFM, it gives me a better idea of my high fertility days and the peak day(s) if i actually O.

good luck

• Thanks for the ideas.  I'm all set with FF and I ordered OPTs from saveontests.  I haven't got a BBT, would a regular thermometer be ok?
  • imageJ'sLisa:

I haven't got a BBT, would a regular thermometer be ok?

Regular thermometers measure in increments of 0.2 whereas BBTs measure in increments of 0.1.  You need a BBT and they aren't expensive -- less than $10 at drugstores or Target/Walmart.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"