Houston Babies
Options

Question for BFing moms

What are some things that i shouldn't eat or drink???

Jake seems to always get gas at night and have an upset tummy.... he doesn't vomit, but i can feel his little tummy rumble.

what did you learn to stay away from?

Re: Question for BFing moms

• Options

cows' milk is the #1 culprit. check www.kellymom.com

• Options

We didn't seem to have problems with dairy, of course I don't drink milk but I ate plenty of ice cream! 

I couldn't eat corn at all!  Mexican food was also out of the question in the early months.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    PAGASPAGAS member
    I haven't ever had any issues, I eat and drink as normal, I just make sure I drink a ton of water.
    Finley Anne ~ 11.9.2008
    So Tasty, So Yummy
  • Options

Every baby is different but I was off all cows milk dairy for 8 months.  He also seemed to have sensitivities to caffeine, wheat, nuts and chocolate. You'll have to eliminate dairy for 2 weeks to know for sure since I believe it takes 10-14 days or so for the body to rid itself of the protein in cow's milk.  Kellymom is a great resource for all things breastfeeding.

DS had horrible gas and tummy pain for months that woke him hourly at night :(  Eliminating the above foods helped somewhat but bio gaia probiotic drops recommended by the pedi when he was still miserable stopped the gas altogether.  I started up with dairy again in the form of yogurt at 8 months and slowly introduced other things back into my diet until it was clear he was not reacting.  Now he even eats tiny bits of yogurt on his own without a reaction.    

Good Luck!

• Options

Dairy could be the problem.  I also had to give up: broccoli, cucumbers, mexican foods, anything with a ton of "spice", caffeine, and chocolate with Mia. 

Every kid is different, though... didn't have to give up anything with Micah.  Hooray!  Just saying that in case you are feeling like... dude, never doing this again.  I can't eat anything!  Cause I totally went through that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Calla is also extremely gassy and often wakes up in the night with gas.  I'm not really giving up anything though, too selfish.  Everything I read, even on kellymom, says that time is the best healer and that by 6 months their digestive system is more mature and better able to handle things.  That said, I do watch out for tomatoes.  I ate tomato soup twice and she screamed for hours.  I will not do that again.
  • Options
    The only thing that I've eaten that bothered Presley was BBQ sausage.
  • Options
    from what i have read kelly mom says your diet doesn't really effect them.
  • Options
    Purple onions bothered DS really bad.  Other than that, nothing really seems to bother him.  I can't drink cow's milk so I'm not sure if that would hurt him or not. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageJen&Keith:

Is he particularly fussy after eating certain foods? Or just gassy/fussy all the time?

For me, Presley was a fussy, hot mess the few times I had BBQ Sausage so I put 2 and 2 together and cut it out. No issues since.

• Options

imageJen&Keith:

well, i think the lactose allergy is a different issue than just food. trust me- i would be eating the shyt outta some cheese and ice cream if i could.

it takes up to a couple weeks for the lactose to leave your system, so if you do eliminate you need to give it a little time. with both my kids this has been a tremendous help. with truitt i was back on dairy at 7 mos (so only 5 mos off) and at that point my weight loss came to a screeeeeching halt Hmm

• Options
    For the first two months Lucia would wake up a lot and we thought it was gas. We gave her mylicon, massage and pumping her legs to try and help her but it didn't get much better. We thought it was pretty normal becuase everyone, including dr., said babies get a lot of gas. At the next dr. visit I complained again about the gas. We decided to try medication for acid reflux. I didnt even know babies could have AR. The medication made a huge difference. Even after the meds i did give up dairy and gassy veggies because that did make her gassy. Since now she was on meds i could better tell when she was gassy...
  • Options

Eggs made P spit up, so I had to cut that out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"