Secondary IF

May I ask a question here?

For those that didn't have trouble with TTC#1, but now are or did have trouble with #2, did they order a SA for your husband or did they assume he was ok since you had one child successfully?  We have been trying for 7 months now with no luck and my OB says we can try meds with a monitored cycle next month to see if we can tell what's going on.  She didn't mention a SA for DH, but I kinda feel that why should I start the meds without knowing his SA?  Should I request that first?  Thanks
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers Beta #1 9/23= 81 on 10dpo 1st u/s 10/1/09=too early 2nd u/s scheduled for 10/14/09=3 heartbeats...OMG 2 BOYS & a GIRL!!!! Triplets born 33w,4 d due to PRE-E 4 pounds, 5 oz. each Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: May I ask a question here?

• While we had trouble for both, they ordered a SA for both children! Things can change, or your first could have been lucky if his numbers have always been poor.  I would ask for a SA, and if you are going so far as to have a monitored cycle, I would also inquire about an IUI if your insurance covers it. If it costs you nothing, It can't hurt!

Good luck, and all questions are welcome here!

• My dr wouldn't give me a second look without my H having a SA.  She said she had to rule that out before she would think about giving me meds.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My DD has a different father then my husband. When I got referred to a RE I got a SA referral from my family doctor and got it done before my 1st RE appointment. The results were sent to both the RE and the family doctor. That way during my 1st RE appointment he would know what we were dealing with reguarding my DH before we started anything. So I say go ahead and request it, it cant hurt anything to know. (And here it was free so I was like, why not?)
    Our Girls
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    AquinnahDori
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
  • CHI-06CHI-06 member
    my dr would not start any meds without a full testing cycle...blood testing for me throughout the cycle, SA for husband and an HSG for me to make sure my tubes were clear too.  I agree with her too...why do meds if there could be something else going on.
    Daughter born July 2008; Daughter born March 2010 Son born August 2011
  • I would request an SA. Why put your body through all those meds if it isnt going to work (or has a really low chance of working). You would need an SA to see the entire picture and draw up a proper plan. Good luck!
  • It was standard for us and we knew the problem was with me!  There was no doubt but it is one of those things you want to do just in case...  A lot of ladies here who are being tested for the first time have found out that their DH's have had issues b/c of this test.  It is just good to know and it changes the way you treat things.  GL!!!!! I say go for it.
    Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • imageCHI-06:
    my dr would not start any meds without a full testing cycle...blood testing for me throughout the cycle, SA for husband and an HSG for me to make sure my tubes were clear too.  I agree with her too...why do meds if there could be something else going on.

I could have written this myself...I also agree that I would be sure everything else is fine before taking meds.

Jen, mom to Evan-6yrs and Ella-20 months
  • I absolutely think one is recommended regardless if she offers it....I'd request it ASAP!
  • That's what I was thinking...Thanks everyone, I will definitely request one.  I am supposed to call her and schedule all my tests anyway if I start my period, and I feel like its coming...booo:((
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers Beta #1 9/23= 81 on 10dpo 1st u/s 10/1/09=too early 2nd u/s scheduled for 10/14/09=3 heartbeats...OMG 2 BOYS & a GIRL!!!! Triplets born 33w,4 d due to PRE-E 4 pounds, 5 oz. each Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My DH has not had one done only because RE thinks it would be a waste of time and $. We have no issues conceiving but have recurrent losses. I would think you would need to have that done before meds.
  • Since I was the one with obvious ovulation issues, we didn't do an SA on DH. The RE said if after several Clomid cycles, we still weren't pg, we'd check him out to make sure there wasn't a problem with him. Thankfully, I got pregnant on my 4th Clomid cycle, and an SA wasn't necessary.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"