North Carolina Babies

*withoutshoes*

question for you!  i saw in the packing post where you said you travel w/your dog wherever you go - this is us!!  i have no idea how we're going to manage this once we have the baby.

what kind of car do you have and do you end up using a roof rack or something?

we've got a jeep cherokee and an oldsmobile... we usually use the oldsmobile when we travel bc it gets MUCH better gas mileage but i'm just not seeing how it will work with the dog and baby in the back seat!

i was thinking once the baby is here we'd probably have to take the jeep but even then i don't really see how it will work unless we use a roof rack or something bc the dog would still end up in the back seat with the baby! 

i'd love to hear your thoughts and how you manage to do this! :-)  it just seems like when its just me, dh, and the dog we still end up w/a full car so obviously w/a baby its going to be 10x fuller haha!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: *withoutshoes*

• I worried about the same thing before DS was here!  I also felt bad that our dog wouldn't be able to "run" from side to side sticking her head out the window anymore. 

We have a trail blazer, and we do have a roof rack.  However, we have never had to use it...yet. Stick out tongue

When we go on short day trips w/ the dog, we put her in the very back with the stroller.  

However, on long trips she actually sits on the same seat as DS!  Crazily enough, she leaves him alone.  Every once in awhile she will sniff him or lay her head on his carseat but that's about it.  

Our SUV has what I call a "split seat" (I don't know the proper term)  Anyhow, you can lay 2/3 of it down and 1/3 of it will stay up.  Last time we went to the beach, we packed all of our "goods" then laid down the seat. On the part that folded down, we placed our dog's doggie bed.  That way, she was comfortable on the ride there and had a little more wiggle room. 

The one thing we can't do is roll down the window DS is on b/c the dog  wants to hang her head out that window too!  

We can get a lot of stuff in our SUV. (the back, the floorboards, up front w/ me)  I have had to learn how to pack neatly and lightly (no more 6 outfits for a 2 day trip...yes, I use to do that!)  but it's actually worked out quite nicely.  

I'm not quite sure what we will do when/if  child 2 arrives.  I guess we will be shopping for a mini-van.  Indifferent
  • so it IS possible to not use the roof rack!  sweet!!  this helps, thanks so much!  yeah i'm one of those 6 outfits for a 2 day trip type person too... i just like to have options in case something doesn't look right lol!! 

one thing i know for sure is our dog would not stay in the back part so the only option is for her to be in the seat next to baby - i just wasn't sure how well this would work lol.  guess i'll find out soon enough!!  i even considered having dog sit up front w/dh and me in the back with baby.. honestly we'll probably end up doing that until our dog is comfortable with the baby. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"