South Florida Babies

Childcare Checklists?

Does anyone have a list of questions they are planning on asking (or have already asked)?

Mommies: What are some things I should look for? Not look for in a daycare?

The whole daycare thing is 100% new to me, so I'll take any suggestions you can give. So far, I have a list of daycare centers as well as at home day care. I still need to go out and visit them, but I want to make sure I'm asking the right questions. Also, not using daycare isn't an option considering we don't have any family in VA (although it would be nice). So...please feel free to educate me. I know there's a lot to learn :)

Re: Childcare Checklists?

• Having looked at daycares when I was pregnant AND again recently for a toddler I have definitely a different idea of what you should be looking for.

First off, if you are going to a center make sure you go at an off time. Don't go during lunch, and try not to go during nap time. Do not tell them what time you are going and if they make you make an appointment, well that's a BAD sign. You want to see the daycare the way it is, you don't want to give them any opportunity to make things perfect for you.

Also, if you go to a center make sure they show you the different rooms, not just the infant room. And if they can also the playgrounds so that you can judge those too because before you know it your little one will be playing out there and you want to be able to judge the safety of it.

I'd definitely ask about their ratio. Make sure its a ratio YOU are comfortable with. I'd also ask how and when your child will move up to the next class. Is it based on milestone or age? Another thing you want to know is what are you required to bring. Some daycare provide everything, others don't.

The reason why I recommend seeing the toddler room is because when I had to go back on the hunt again recently I went back to my #1 choice from when I was pregnant and I LOVED their infant room. It was HUGE. But their toddler room AND their playground I did NOT care for at all. When I compare that to the place where Mikey is now I made sure to tour the infant room because one day I hope to have another baby so I'd like to see what they had to offer. It's not huge at all,  but I love the toddler room and playground there. So in the end I'd much rather a better toddler room than an infant room because as an infant he's really not all over the place like he is now.

Wow this became a novel! Hope this helps.
  • What Sam said. LOL. I don't have much more to add, just to really get a feel. There were places we went where I just KNEW I wouldn't have my son there, and then there were others that were okay. I looked a lot at cleanliness and safety, but like Sam said, it's good to look at other rooms and not just the infant room. That way, you get a feel for whether your baby will grow there or you'll have to transition to another center later on. Good luck! The whole daycare thing has been (nd continues to be) the hardest thing for me.
  • Loading the player...
  • I would definitely steer clear of any places that make you have an appointment.  I simply called the places and got their hours and asked if it was okay to tour the place.  Had they told me specific times, I definitely would have felt they might have something to hide

Obviously, you will note the cleanliness and safetiness when you visit.  Both places I went to automatically gave me a tour of the entire facility - which I greatly appreciated.  But what ultimately helped me decide was the people.  I could tell that the place we ended up with cared - we were in a predicament where we had to find a daycare within a week and it was totally unexpected.  The place we chose understood our situation and genuinely cared - which is a big plus in my book.

When you do choose a place, you may want to find ou the observed holidays and vacation schedules.  Our daycare is attached to a church, so obviously they will be closed some days that I will be working, but I have options of either my mother or mother-in-law watching Kendall.  Also, another question I found out after the fact is whether or not they allow vacations.   Ours does not - but some do.  It's not a super important point, but I do think it is something you should know about.

Best of luck finding the best place for your little girl! 

• imagehelovesme22506:

When you do choose a place, you may want to find ou the observed holidays and vacation schedules.  Our daycare is attached to a church, so obviously they will be closed some days that I will be working, but I have options of either my mother or mother-in-law watching Kendall.  Also, another question I found out after the fact is whether or not they allow vacations.   Ours does not - but some do.  It's not a super important point, but I do think it is something you should know about.

YES! This is very true. We get a calendar with the holidays the school observed, but I totally overlooked spring break. Most of the centers I've seen all close during spring break, which doesn't coincide with mine so I have to make alternate arrangements. Many "school" centers close the regular public schools holidays as well as for summer (they have camp instead). There are other centers that are open year-round. At L's school, the infant room is the only one that goes year-round (with holidays being observed). Now that he's in the toddler room, the school year ended and camp began, but since I've been home in the summer, he didn't go to that. But it's a separate registration, etc.

• This is all very helpful. Thanks ladies :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"