LGBT Parenting
Options

how do you keep worry in check?

Maybe I'm just a worrywart or something, but there are oh-so-many things to worry about early in pregnancy. Even when there are days when I'm cooking along okay and not worrying too much, I read or hear something and all my anxiety gets turned back on. (E.g. the post below about being hot-- I immediately go to "I'm not feeling hot any more-- is that a bad sign?")

I don't really know when I'll be able to fully relax into this pregnancy. I *think* it will be after we hear the heartbeat, but what if I can't relax even after that?

Aye!

married 03/08/08 -- ttc with PCOS (dx 2005) & DS
IUI #3 gave us the best 2nd anniv. gift ever: 2 babies! (born 03/09/10)
Peanut and Little Man are getting so big! 2 years old already!
finally blogging again at This Will Be: An Adventure

Re: how do you keep worry in check?

• Options

Tell me if you find the secret! I'm still convinced I'm going to see AF every time I go to the bathroom.  I poke my boobs every now and again to make sure they still hurt even though I know it's completely natural for pregnancy symptoms to come and go.  I'm hoping that next week's ultrasound will help me relax but at the same time I worry that since it's so early we won't see anything and that will make me worry even more! lol! 

I think we'll learn to relax.  I think a good solid ultra sound and perhaps some morning sickness will do the trick Wink

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

The beginning is the hardest since you have nothing to show for it.  I ended up having a lot of u/s due to early complications, so that helped in an odd way even though I was having issues.  Once you start showing and once you start feeling movement, you worry - but less.

One thing I tried to keep in the front of my head was that millions of women are pregnant/have been pregnant and most of those pregnancies have wonderfully positive outcomes. I just had to look at the glass as half full so I wouldn't go insane!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I wish I could tell you. I'm hoping that I'll be able to relax some after our next ultrasound, but who knows. I think you just have to take it one day at a time and remind yourself that most pregnancies turn out just fine.

One thing we are doing is taking one of those recorders from the build-a-bear store to our next ultrasound. That way we can record the heartbeat and put it in a stufty. Anytime we're feeling nervous with can give it a squeeze and heart our little ones heart beating away. :-)

Maybe I don't have a heightened sense of smell, but I've never smelled any vagina on my pants. -- TSD

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Bloggity Blog - You know you want to...
  • Options
    imageMeegs10.13.06:

One thing we are doing is taking one of those recorders from the build-a-bear store to our next ultrasound. That way we can record the heartbeat and put it in a stufty. Anytime we're feeling nervous with can give it a squeeze and heart our little ones heart beating away. :-)

That's such a neat idea!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageTwo*True:
    imageMeegs10.13.06:

That's such a neat idea!

I actually got it from one of the baby boards on here between pregnancies. I thought it was such a neat idea... especially since we never got to hear the heartbeat the first time around. I feel like it will be a very reassuring sound! 

Maybe I don't have a heightened sense of smell, but I've never smelled any vagina on my pants. -- TSD

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Bloggity Blog - You know you want to...
  • Options
    That is an awesome idea!Yes
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

The answer for me, so far, is that some days bring worry and some days don't. 

At first, I was one big ball of worry.  Having had two early losses (in back-to-back cycles) before this one, I was in the habit of expecting the worst.  

Slowly but surely, this pregnancy is teaching me that things can also go just fine.  Every normal ultrasound and on-target measurement has helped so much.  Am I still freaked out?  Sometimes, sure.  But those times are increasingly overshadowed by the times when I believe that I really will meet this little person in January.

Worrying is normal.  And you'll do great.  You're on an amazing journey, one which WILL get more fun as the time goes by. 

• Options

The worry never went away with me until I held her in my arms. Now I have a whole new set of worries. :o)

~Kennedy

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

what is this "fully relaxing" that you speak of?

i was a lot more worried during the first trimester, and it got worse for me the farther we got from the last appointment and the closer we got to the next. we'd go in for an appointment and everything would be great and i'd be so excited, and then a few weeks later we'd be coming up on the next and i'd freak out worrying about it. it's eased a LOT now that she's starting to show and is feeling regular movement, but i still have twinges. just being able to see and feel him made a huge difference for me. and it's changed, too; my twinges now are less "what if something goes wrong?" and more "omg, we're over halfway there and we're NOT READY! what are we going to do? gah!"

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"