Working Moms

Need advice from working moms

I am currently employed full-time and am due right before Thanksgiving.  My job does not offer paid maternity leave, so anytime that I take off will just have to come out of my pocket.  If I DH and I could choose, I would stay home with the baby, but right now our finances would be too tight.  I don't want to live paycheck to paycheck.  I have applied for a couple of other full-time jobs that pay double what I am making right now.  I am so hesitant and nervous about going in for an interview.  I am 1 week away from being 6 months pregnant and it's not like I can hide it.  Do I go head and tell them in the interview and then tell them that I will need time off in November or do I just not say anything knowing that they have probably noticed.  I'm afraid that they will judge me based on being pregnant and wanting time off when the baby comes.  Any advice would be great...you ladies always have something good to say!   Thank you!!!  :)

Re: Need advice from working moms

• I just got offered an administrator's job at 39 weeks! Go for it. They can't hold it against you that you are pregnant. After the interview, I would bring it up that you are pregnant (tell them that you feel ethically obliged to tell them, although legally you don't have to). If they like you, they will hire you and adapt to your needs.
  • Go in for the interview. ?See what happens. ?If they make an offer, discuss it then. ?If you are showing, and make it to an offer, I doubt they will be surprised when the topic comes up.

I would wait to raise it until you know you have an offer.

?

• Loading the player...
  • I would go for it  - I was hired at 5 1/2 months pg; and they paid me FULL maternity leave (although I only took the minimum 6 weeks...)

GL!!!

• At 6 months, I would address it and not try to hide it.  I interviewed for a job at 6 months and I brought it up, we had a quick 2 minute discussion and that was the end of it.  I think they appreciated that I addressed it - I just said that I had reliable childcare, reassured them that I would most definitely return after leave and that I would ensure I was back from leave in time to support any crucial deadlines.  It did not impact the outcome - I was offered the job. 
  • If you're going to be obviously pregnant in the interview, I don't think you can not say something about it - it's going to be the huge white elephant in the room.

I think I'd even say something about it first thing, because I wouldn't want the interviewers being distracted thinking about my pregnant belly and wondering if I was going to say something about it.  I'd start the interview off with recognizing that I was indeed pregnant and would like 6 weeks unpaid time off in November, but that I did not see my pregnancy interfering with my job in any other way.  That way it's out in the open, and the interviewers can focus on your actual interview and not your belly.

If they don't hire you due to your being pregnant........well, it's not like not telling them would have changed that since you're visibly pregnant and they didn't need you to tell them.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • My job didnt offer paid maternity leave either. I applied for Short term Disability. Which was like 90% of my pay check every 2 weeks. I found out i was pregnant 20 days after getting hired. and while on maternity leave they offered me a promotion!

I was nervous too cause i thought i was going to have to look for a new job and wondered who would hire a pregnant girl knowing i was gonna be out for 6 weeks at some point.. But like someone else said IF they like you and you are a good candidate for the position it wont matter if your pregnant.

Good Luck!

• Thanks for all the advice, it has helped!  :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"