Working Moms

A question about pink eye

After many possible daycare exposures over the past year, our DD finally got pink eye last Thursday.  Of course, my DH and I were out of town and my mother was watching her so I couldn't go to the doctor with them and ask tons of questions like I normally would.

What I am wondering is, once you're on medication drops for 5 of the 7 days, should you still wake up with super crusty eyes?  My DD had really bad crusty eyes this morning which we haven't seen all week.  Before I call the advice nurse, I was just wondering if anyone else has experience with pink eye.  Is this normal?  Does this mean the infection is 'getting out' as my DH assumed this morning?

I looked it up online and crusty eyes are part of pink eye but it doesn't say when they should clear up.

Re: A question about pink eye

• DD had pink eye about a month ago and after 24 hours of being on the drops her eye was clear.  I would call the nurse.
  • maybe she got reinfected.  DD has never had pink eye, but I have had it 4x since she has gone to daycare.  wash, sanitize, throw out anything related to her eyes. pillos, sheets, stuffed animals, washclothes, etc.

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks.  I just made an appointment for her.

I swear we have become such super clean freaks!  I changer he linens daily, wash her stuffed animal that she has to sleep with daily.  I never use a wash cloth twice.  Ugh!  I guess it's a learning experience.  

• There are two types of pink eye; bacterial and viral.  Bacterial is cleared up by the drops in about 24 hours.  Viral is not cleared up by the drops and generally sucks.  I had the viral pink eye and had pink eye for about 2 weeks.  What made it worse, is that for months I would wake up with a bit of gunk and it would freak me out.  I finally had a doctor look at my eyes 2 months after the pink eye and he confirmed that I still had a bit of it.  The viral pink eye is not only the gunk but it fricken HURTS!  If your dd has the viral, watch her like a hawk to make sure she isn't rubbing her eyes.  If she does, wash her hands.

Our house was never so clean as during the pink eye infections.

• Call, her eye should be clear about a day or so after you start the drops.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • dpdwdpdw member
    imagecostfords:

There are two types of pink eye; bacterial and viral.  Bacterial is cleared up by the drops in about 24 hours.  Viral is not cleared up by the drops and generally sucks.  I had the viral pink eye and had pink eye for about 2 weeks.  What made it worse, is that for months I would wake up with a bit of gunk and it would freak me out.  I finally had a doctor look at my eyes 2 months after the pink eye and he confirmed that I still had a bit of it.  The viral pink eye is not only the gunk but it fricken HURTS!  If your dd has the viral, watch her like a hawk to make sure she isn't rubbing her eyes.  If she does, wash her hands.

Our house was never so clean as during the pink eye infections.

Ditto this.  DS has gotten the viral pink eye a bunch of times.  It sucks b/c there's nothing you can do for it.  You just have to let it run it's course.  I'm not sure if it's the typical difference between bacterial & viral, but DS's eyes are never pink, they just get the crusty/seepy gunk. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"