Working Moms

anyone's LO still wake up every 2 hours each night?

For about a month, DS would have at least one 4-5 hour stretch, but he's back to AT LEAST nursing every two hours. My mom tells me it's time to let him CIO. Anyone going to work everyday with a child that still is up like a newborn?!

Re: anyone's LO still wake up every 2 hours each night?

• Mine does every 3 hours, so it's a little better than yours, but yeah before I went back to work she was sleeping one 5-6 hour stretch but changed her routine (reverse cycling). 

I'm thinking about asking the pedi about letting her CIO at her 6month appt.  She's pretty tiny for her age so I don't want to stop feeding her at night without my pedi's approval.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMeg41208:

Mine does every 3 hours, so it's a little better than yours, but yeah before I went back to work she was sleeping one 5-6 hour stretch but changed her routine (reverse cycling). 

I'm thinking about asking the pedi about letting her CIO at her 6month appt.  She's pretty tiny for her age so I don't want to stop feeding her at night without my pedi's approval.

I asked my pedi the same thing, and he said I can let him cry for a little while because he may just be in the habit of nursing. I also suspect he's teething. My LO is huge (95th percentile) so I think he can go the distance at night haha. Good luck with your LO!

• Loading the player...
  • I suspect mine is teething too (or else she has a cold) but it hasn't changed her sleep.  We have her 6 month appt in 3 weeks so I think I can hold off on the CIO until then.  We've been letting her CIO to put herself to sleep and it's been working, but I feel mean letting her cry when she wakes up too (especially because it'll be harder to ignore her), at least until she gets the hang of putting herself to sleep at night and maybe after she's feeling better.  She hasn't been sleeping well at daycare this week, I guess because of teething or whatever is going on that is making her fussy/stuffy/irritable.

She's somewhere in the 10-25% percentile (she's about 13lbs) so she might need to gain a couple more pounds before she can make it through the night.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yep. We are in the process of sleep training. A 20 pound 6 month old does not need to nurse every 2 hours at night, which is the habit we got into (partly my fault - it was just the easiest way for us to both go back to sleep). My goal is for him to sleep from 7:30 - 7 waking up just once to nurse.

Sleep training is exhausting though. I'm more tired now than I was when I woke up every couple of hours. Probably because I just took him into bed with me to nurse and fell back asleep :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemassdreams:

Yep. We are in the process of sleep training. A 20 pound 6 month old does not need to nurse every 2 hours at night, which is the habit we got into (partly my fault - it was just the easiest way for us to both go back to sleep). My goal is for him to sleep from 7:30 - 7 waking up just once to nurse.

Sleep training is exhausting though. I'm more tired now than I was when I woke up every couple of hours. Probably because I just took him into bed with me to nurse and fell back asleep :)

This is exactly what is going on with us. I am trying to get him to sleep in his own crib, but it is so exhausting going back and forth that I end up just taking him into our bed every night. What are you doing for sleep training?

• We're doing ferber, but I must admit we're not following it exactly. We check in on him every 5 minutes when crying, not longer. And if he's slept for a good 6 hour stretch when he wakes, I'll nurse him.

If you breastfeed though and do any type of crying sleep training, my advice is to have your DH do most of the checks if he's willing to. I tried to do them at first, but they never work for me. I think because if it's me, he wants to nurse. If it's DH, that option isn't there for him and he calms down and goes back to sleep faster than with me.

Oh, and we cut out the paci cold turkey. That was another reason he kept waking up. It was easy to just pop it back in, but disrupting everyone's sleep. His sleep is improving though and he is also finally napping more than 40 minutes at a time during the day!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemassdreams:

We're doing ferber, but I must admit we're not following it exactly. We check in on him every 5 minutes when crying, not longer. And if he's slept for a good 6 hour stretch when he wakes, I'll nurse him.

If you breastfeed though and do any type of crying sleep training, my advice is to have your DH do most of the checks if he's willing to. I tried to do them at first, but they never work for me. I think because if it's me, he wants to nurse. If it's DH, that option isn't there for him and he calms down and goes back to sleep faster than with me.

Oh, and we cut out the paci cold turkey. That was another reason he kept waking up. It was easy to just pop it back in, but disrupting everyone's sleep. His sleep is improving though and he is also finally napping more than 40 minutes at a time during the day!

That's really good advice! I find we have many problems as a result of that paci too. If it falls out at night, he wakes up and screams until he gets it back in his mouth. We have had so many issues with napping too.

• My DD went through a stage right about 4 months...she started STTN at about 3 mo/old, then at 4 months all of a sudden she went back to waking every couple of hours.  Then just as suddenly it stopped at 5 months and she slept through the night for over a month.  Now, again all of a sudden, she's started waking up again (not every night, but often enough.)  This time I'm trying not to nurse her when she wakes (which is what I would do before, because as you said, it was the easiest way to get us both back to sleep.)  Now if she won't go back to sleep, I'll pat her until she is a bit calmer, then I actually lay down on the floor in her room and when she cries I'll either get up to pat her again or sometimes just hearing my voice say "It's OK, it's night-night time" will be enough and she may fuss, but doesn't all-out cry.  Sometimes I end up falling asleep for half the night on her floor, but I'm hoping this will be a good way to transition her to not expect to nurse at night.
  • My son is 15 months old and is still up 2-4 times a night to nurse. The only way I can function at work is to let him sleep in our bed. Eventually he will sleep through the night, at least I keep telling myself that.

• I am so glad I'm not alone. People were starting to tell me something was wrong with ds. Thank you!!
  • At 4 months I think you should expect to get up with DC once or twice a night. 2 hours is a bit much. We did CIO at 5.5 months. But before you do it, look at how DC is doing during the day and make sure he's getting enough food (how many ounces?) and good naps.  We did CIO at 5.5 months because DS went from waking 1 time to waking 4 times and I concluded he was using nighttime to do all his feeding and so I switched that to the day and it wasn't a big deal after that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"