D.C. Area Babies

Daily meltdowns!!!

Okay...so DS has been sleeping really well at night lately - sometimes up to 11 hours without a feeding! Naptime still stinks though. This week, his new thing is to have a complete volcanic eruption, screaming meltdown between 2 and 3 every afternoon. I know he's tired because he's rubbing his eyes, but he just won't fall asleep! Nothing I do seems to help until he just finally falls asleep from exhaustion (about 20 minutes later) - rocking him, singing to him, the swing, feeding him, changing him - none of it works. It's so heartbreaking to just listen to him scream and not be able to help him at all. Has anyone else's LO gone through this at almost 5 months? When will his little nervous system just figure out that he's exhausted and needs to take a little nap? Any suggestions on how to help him through it? I hate having him cry it out like this and not be able to soothe him at all.

FWIW - he falls asleep for a brief morning nap around 10 each day without a problem, so this is baffling!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Daily meltdowns!!!

• So sorry! The only thing I can suggest is that Weissbluth says that when this happens, you should try to put him down for a nap about 20-30 minutes before he usually melts down. Maybe at 1:30 wind him down and see if you can help him fall asleep before he is overtired?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would also suggest putting him down earlier. I followed Dr. WEissbluth as well and made sure DD never went more than 2 hrs awake (i.e.: a nap 2 hrs after she woke up from her last one), at 5mo old, your son still needs 3 naps a day.
  • Loading the player...
  • At 5 months, DS was still taking 3 naps.  Maybe your DS needs more sleep? 

DS woke, took his first nap within two hours of getting up, took his second three hours after he woke from his first, and took his third nap three hours after his second.  

• DD is a month older, but she's not a great napper anymore either.  She STTN, and ever since she started doing that around 4 months, her naps have become much shorter and sometimes non-existent.  She took a short nap at 9am today and has been awake ever since.  It's almost 4:00!!!  She actually isn't melting down though, which is the difference.  I am ready for a nap myself.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"