Working Moms

Tears in my eyes...

I just got so upset reading your posts about how much time you actually spend with your LOs.  I start work at the end of August.  I don't know how I am going to make it through the day, but staying at home is not an option for us right now.  How did you ladies make it through your first couple of weeks of daycare for your LOs?

Re: Tears in my eyes...

• I'm so feeling you right now. My first isn't even born yet, and I'm dreading going back to work and school (I have 2 years of college left). Staying at home (even just going to school and not working) is not an option for us right now either.

Well, I know it shouldn't be an option, but I'm just dreading being away from little Riley. My mom had to go to school and work when I was little, and I don't have any good memories of my childhood with her. I don't want that for my child. I've mentioned my worries and fears about it to DH, but I haven't really talked to him about trying to find a way for me to take a little longer off work (6 months maybe, a year?).

Maybe we oughta talk about it...

• Remember that, especially when they're still napping twice a day, they'll be asleep for a good portion of the time they're at daycare.
  • Loading the player...
  • CA2006CA2006 member
    Honestly?  I remind myself how much fun DS has at daycare and how much they loooove him there.  They always "fight" for who gets to take him from me in the mornings and they rave about how great he is.  He is always exhausted when he comes home and happy when he wakes up.  I get to spend some time with him when we get home and on weekends and any time daycare is closed, I have taken time off.  If I was at home with him, I don't think he woudl be as social of a baby as he is.  I think he is thriving at daycare.  Sure, I mis out on some things.  But it's hard to be upset about that thinking of the fact that he woudl be with just me all day if I wasn't working.  Does any of that make sense?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Honestly, I had that moment of panic about 2 weeks before daycare. I didn't want to change what I had. She's been in for 3 weeks now and it's going great. Like PP, they love her there and I know they are stimulating her in ways that I am not even aware of.

My Mom had to go back to work when I was 4 weeks old. And she is my best friend. Both my parents made the most of the time they had with me and I am very close to both of them. Anywhere they went, I went so we could be together. My Mom made it very clear that I was with them because they loved me and wanted to spend time with me. She keeps reminding me now that I will do the same with DD and let her know how much I love her and make the time we have together very special.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 4/9/09 - Chloe, our angel twin Lilypie First Birthday tickers>
  • Maybe it won't be so bad then. I never went to daycare when I was a kid. I stayed with my grandparents all the time. My parents were young teenagers when they had me, and they both worked two or more obs at any given time and went through college after getting their GEDs. I know they had such little time with me because they were trying to provide for me, and I'm very grateful. But my dad made such a bigger effort to play with me and make memories with me than my mother did. I have no good memories of my mom in my early childhood.

I had decided years ago that my children would go to daycare because I want them to get that early socialization that I never got. I never made a single friend my own age until I sarted kindergarten, and I think all that isolation with older people when I was young really hindered my ability to get along and play with others and make friends. I still have a hard time making friends to this day. I look at my SD who goes to daycare when she is with her BM, and she shines in social situations of all kinds.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"