Working Moms

Which schedule sounds better?

This is not that big a deal, but just something I am thinking through for after my maternity leave.

My current schedule:

-I drop off DD at daycare - leave the house at 7:50, arrive at work by 8:30 and work till 4:45. 4 minute commute to home. DH picks up DD and they get home around 5:45. So I have some time at home alone to make dinner, etc. Also currently DH works right by the daycare (about 15 minutes from our house) but his office is moving furher away - the daycare would still be on the way to the highway though, but he'd have to be more careful about when he leaves work in order to make the daycare cut-off time of 5:30.

After DD#2 comes, I am thinking about switching my work schedule to 8:00-4:15 and having DH do the drop-off on the way to work. I would still leave my house around 7:50 to get to work by 8, so I wouldn't have to leave any earlier. And I'd probably get home with both girls by 5:15 at the latest. Also this would mean DH would not have to worry as much about leaving work early/on-time to get to the daycare. The only downside I can think of is that it takes away from that chunk of time I have to make dinner and it might be more hectic after work...but on the upside, it gives me more time with the girls at night without having to give up any morning time. Oh yeah, another downside is that pick-up is a bit more hectic than drop-off at the daycare, but...not a huge deal.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Which schedule sounds better?

• I say I'd do 8-4:15..that way you both could share pick up drop off unless one of you have meetings etc...dh drops off in am and you can pick up in pm

I don't have kids yet but thinking of changing my hours to something similar 7:30-4 to take more grad classes

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would switch your schedule.  I do both drop off and pick-up since my DH works much further away.  One thing that we do that helps with the craziness of getting dinner ready is to prep as much as possible the night before. We sometimes even cook the night before and then just heat up or I have everything ready to go so I need to do when we get home is pop it in the oven and then I play with the girls until its ready.  it really works out great and makes me feel more relaxed as we have some down time at home together before we eat and the girls are not rushed from daycare to dinner to bed.  They like playing at home too.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"