Working Moms

NE1 Salary (full time) and go PT after baby?

How many hours did you go down to?  What % did your pay go down?  I am thinking of proposing going down to 30 hours-- if we can financially swing it, but it will all depend on how much I will lose pay wise.

Just curious what others have found. TIA!

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: NE1 Salary (full time) and go PT after baby?

• I am planning to ask for this when it's my time, and I am going to ask for a proportional pay cut - 30 hours is 25% fewer than 40, so I would expect a 25% pay cut in your case.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I came back to work only four days a week going down to 32 hours a week. My pay checks dropped by about 20%. We just have cut out a lot of extra we did before the girls came (weekend trips, diner out, etc.) But I was shocked when I got back because taxes also went up in our state (CA) so my check was already down almost hundred more every check. Yikes!

I hope this helps. GL!

• Loading the player...
  • I am a lawyer.  When DS was born, I was working full time at a firm with billable hours.  Due to some child care issues, I proposed an 80% schedule (one day at home per week).  After negotiating, what we came up with was that they divided my annual salary by the minimum billable hour requirement.  Then I was paid hourly for actual hours billed (so if I had weeks where I had long days on the days I was there, I got paid for them).  I was also still allowed a certain amount of vacation and CLE (legal education) time that would be paid (at 8 hours per day) too.  That made up for the fact that I was being slightly slighted since the minimum billable hour requirement was only a target and, had I come in under it, I would not have been fired or docked pay.  It worked out well as an arrangement (I really  think I got the benefit of it) until I scored my dream government job last summer.
  • I actually just did this and will start next month working 24 hours/week. Since my hours went down by 40%, so did my pay.  However I am keeping my benefits and still have some vacation (at 5 hrs/day) and holiday.  I would come back to them and ask for a prorated salary if you will still maintain benefits.  If you have to get on your DH's benefits, maybe ask for a 5% increase above your current pay since they will no longer need to pay your benefits.
  • if you're thinking about difference in take home pay, meaning difference in taxes and deductibles removed.. google the take home pay calculator.. goes by state (and city, at least for ny it adds a section for nyc and yonkers, if paid). 
  • After I had DD #2 I went from 40 to 35 hours. I was switched from salary to hourly. It was a small pay cut but well worth it:)
  • I dropped from 5-8hr days to 3-10hr days and I love it.  At my company, 30 hours is considered "full-time" when it comes to salaried vs. hourly and benefits.  My pay dropped 25% (since I work 25% less) but I still pay exactly the same for my benefits.  If I end up having to work on my off-days, I come in late or leave early the next work day. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"