Houston Babies
Options

BFing and biting

HELP~
Finley Anne ~ 11.9.2008
So Tasty, So Yummy

Re: BFing and biting

• Options
    take her off and give her a stern "NO".  And stop the feeding.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I think I remember taking him off and putting him on the ground saying "no".  I would pick him back up after a little bit if I thought he still needed the feeding.  I only remember it happening once or twice but had more issues with teeth accidently scraping at one point.  I'm sure you've looked, but just in case, there are tips for dealing with both issues on kellymom.

https://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/biting.html 

• Options
    I have had DS chomp down on me w/o teeth and it hurts!  I can't imagine with!
  • Options
    Ouchie..that has happened to me too..my sister told me not to react to it because babies seem to kinda enjoy a reaction from you but thats kinda hard to do when it hurts so much... I tell her "No that hurts mommy" but I don't know if they get it yet....
  • Options

imagemissjake:

Ditto this. At that age, it made Natalie very sad that she had hurt me (of course now, it's hysterical). I gave her two chances...if she bit once, I'd give her a stern NO and then let her latch back on. If she did it again, the feeding was over. It took less than 2 days for her to get the picture and she never bit again.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    i responded with a stern "no" and a tap on the nose.  that stopped her pretty quickly.
  • Options

imagealisa1228:
    i responded with a stern "no" and a tap on the nose.  that stopped her pretty quickly.

It is really going to depend on the kiddo.  With J I have him a tap on the nose and stern no and it only took twice.  G on the other hand thought this was all very funny.  I literally had to not respond at all.  Even the tiniest little wince and he would giggle and do it again.  After a few days of no reaction he quit.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagejeneric04:

I think I remember taking him off and putting him on the ground saying "no".  I would pick him back up after a little bit if I thought he still needed the feeding.  I only remember it happening once or twice but had more issues with teeth accidently scraping at one point.  I'm sure you've looked, but just in case, there are tips for dealing with both issues on kellymom.

https://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/biting.html 

I did this exactly.  Worked great.  Just be sure not to be too stern.  I had a friend do that with her kid and she never nursed again.  Some kids are more sensitive than others.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I found telling him no didn't work, not to mention he didn't understand my reaction and was somewhat upset.  What DID work was gently pushing his face into the breast which causes them to immediately let go.  Otherwise they may clamp down if you try to pull them off.

This strategy worked the first time.  I haven't had problems since.  I also make sure he unlatches when he is done feeding and doesn't linger and just pop on and off for fun.  Between these 2 things, it hasn't happened again. 

• Options
    imageTexasSmith:

imagemissjake:

Ditto this. At that age, it made Natalie very sad that she had hurt me (of course now, it's hysterical). I gave her two chances...if she bit once, I'd give her a stern NO and then let her latch back on. If she did it again, the feeding was over. It took less than 2 days for her to get the picture and she never bit again.

this was the case for me as well. however, to echo M&M, the 1st time T chomped me and i went out  and my body kind of jerked back, it scared T sobad he wouldn't stop crying. mine wasn't an intentional reaction though. anyway, after that i knew he was in "biting mode" and went with the unlatch and tell "no." i would say we had 2-3 more bites in 2 days and it was done.

• Options
    imageucalum93:

What DID work was gently pushing his face into the breast which causes them to immediately let go.  Otherwise they may clamp down if you try to pull them off.

This worked for me also. If you pull them into you, their jaw naturally relaxes. Also, it makes it harder for them to breath through their nose so they open their mouth to breath.

It's hard to get used to the idea because when they chomp down, your natural instinct is to pull away, but it really does work.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"