Working Moms
Options

Nanny/Baby-sitting

I have a question for all the working moms / anyone who looks for help with your children.  I was wondering where you typically look to hire nannies or babysitters.  Also, what do you look for when hiring?

Due to the recent loss of my job (I'm a freelance artist, doing painting, props making for theatre, and a script supervisor for film, that sort of thing), I am looking for employment.  I have always loved kids (I half raised my niece) and plan on having my own in the next 3 years.  But before that happens, I need employment again (not to mention start saving for said child) and thought I would hire out my love for children (and my anal cleaning).

So any ideas/thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Re: Nanny/Baby-sitting

• Options
    I found our nanny on craigslist. I was looking for someone who was literate and appeared to be intelligent in their ads - there were so many postings that something like - "I'll watch your kids - we'll do stuff." I also wanted someone who had a child so my son would have a playmate, although it seems many parents don't want that either. I wanted someone who had an interest in taking my son out to do things in the community vs. just sitting at home all day. I also wanted someone who had experience with children.
  • Options
    My neighbors are stay at home moms and they use "sittercity.com" (?) to find sitters/nannies for the days they want to get out. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Frankly, you wouldn't be high on my list because you don't seem to have much experience (I don't know what "half raised" means).  That doesn't mean I wouldn't communicate with you, but I would be very skeptical of your abilities (planning on having kids in the future means 0) not just to adequately take care of my child but also that you knew what you were getting into as taking care of a child full time is unlike any work you've done before and is definitely not for everyone.

I searched for our nanny on gonannies.com and care.com

• Options

I generally use referrals from people I know for sitters (we don't have a nanny).  If someone I trust sends me an email with a potential sitter, I always save it and usually give a call, even when the email is unsolicited.  We found our favorite sitter this way.

I look for someone who has a little bit of experience at least sitting for a child my DS's age.  So, I'd highlight any babysitting experience you have and get referrals from people you've sat for or know really well.  At least to get started.

• Options
    Thank you all for your responses.  They have been very helpful and enlightening.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"