Special Needs

Pre-pregnancy Genetic Testing

Hello! I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but maybe one of you can help me.  DH and I are planning to start TTC in the near future, and he has a family history of cystic fibrosis.  We had planned to get genetic testing before getting pregnant to find out if we are carriers.  If so, we may take TTC off the table and pursue other options.

My question is, have any of you had this done?  If so, how expensive is it and is it usually covered by insurance?

Thanks in advance! :-)

TTC since January 2010
BFP 5/9/10. U/S - no heartbeat 6/2/10 (7 weeks). Induced miscarriage 6/7/10.
Chemical pregnancies 12/2/10, 1/3/11, and 2/7/11.
dx: RPL due to poor quality uterine lining; begin progesterone January 2011
BFP 3/10/11. EDD 11/19/11. E arrived 11/15/11!

Loss Blog | Life Blog

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Pre-pregnancy Genetic Testing

• Thanks so much, auntie!
    TTC since January 2010

Loss Blog | Life Blog

• DH and I did this due to my thalassemia and Jewish heritage. Insurance paid for it all at 100%.?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I am a carrier of CF which we found out when I was pregnant with DD.  My DH was tested when we found this out and he was found not to be a carrier. Our insurance paid for the testing.

Ditto on what auntie said as to PGD (which we did with our second pregnancy for other reasons)

imageimage
  • My husband and I (fiance at the time) are both of Ashkenazi Jewish descent. I had the *Jewish panel* done which is a grouping of 8 diseases that are more prevalent in the Ashkenazi Jewish population.

I was a carrier for two: Canavan's and one similar to Tay Sach's...fortunately, my husband was tested and was not a carrier...so we chose not to do any further genetic tests.

Insurance covered it.

imageimage
    You will forever be my best friend. I can almost feel our hugs. I will ensure everyone will know (now and in the future) what a genuine, kind, loving person you were...I already miss your laughter and our daily conversations. I love you, Samantha. May 20, 1983- February 20, 2012
  • Great, I was hoping insurance would cover this.  Thanks so much ladies! :-)
    TTC since January 2010

Loss Blog | Life Blog

• C&HC&H member

My dh and I had this done and insurance covered 100%. I got the CPT codes from the clinic and called my insurance before hand to see what our coverage was. It is pretty expensive. We knew one of us was a carrier since it showed up in my ds newborn screening so for the full screen on my dh it was about $3,000. If you know what the specific cf markers are on your dh's side it might help to pass it on to the lab. We were given our info and basicly told to share with family. Good luck!

Heather
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"