Houston Babies
Options

[ erika & brian ]

thank you for the sunblock rec - i'm going to try to pick some up over the weekend.

if you don't mind me asking, were they able to remove your melanoma with just surgery?

i had five spots taken for biopsies and i'm 99.9% sure three of them are basal cell carcinomas, which aren't bad, but aren't good either.  and for one of them, it's the third time it's come back.  they took another spot that was scarier than the bccs, but hopefully it was just a weird freckle.

Re: [ erika & brian ]

• Options

That is so scary to have 5 spots removed.

Strangly enough, I've only ever had 1 thing removed and that was the melanoma. I'm fortunate that I don't have a lot of moles, so that melanoma stood out like a sore thumb. It was on my lower leg and after the original biopsy tested positive for melanoma, they went back and did a WLE (Wide level excision). For my depth of melanoma, they needed 1cm margins all around...doesn't sound like much but I have a 4 inch nasty scar to remind me everyday :-). My melanoma was a stage I, and was only .63mm deep so surgery to remove was all that was needed. If the melanomas are deeper than 1mm, they do sentinel node biopsy (to see if if has spread to lymph nodes) and if those come back positive, that's when other chemo like treatments begin. It's scary stuff, but fortunately for now I've had almost a clean bill of health for a year. I think melanoma is often more genetic than it is sun exposure, but I'm still extremely cautious. Keep me posted on your biopsy results. Hope you like the sunblock :-).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"