D.C. Area Babies

I figured out how to get DD to sleep longer at night...

From about weeks 3-5, DD was not sleeping well at night. In the evenings, she was super fussy. I would feed her, she would fall asleep at the boob, I would put her down, she would cry. I would feed her again, she would fall asleep at the boob, I would put her down, she would cry...and the cycle would continue like that for a few hours. I could not figure out what was wrong - whether she had gas, intestinal issues, colic, etc. And once she got to sleep, she would wake every 2-3 hours during the night needing to be fed.

Well, when I started pumping, I noticed that my supply in the evening is about half (or less) of what I have in the morning. So, I had the theory that maybe she was not getting enough milk. Four nights ago, we started giving her a big ole' 6 oz. bottle of pumped milk as her last feeding before bed. She gulps the whole thing down and the results have been AMAZING. Now she sleeps for 4-5 hours and even after she wakes up, I do a feeding and she goes back to sleep for another 2-3 hours.

I could not be happier and I've felt so much better now that I can get some uninterrupted sleep. I know that all of our sleep problems are not solved but I feel like I crossed a hurdle so just wanted to share.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: I figured out how to get DD to sleep longer at night...

• that's really interesting. i didn't realize your supply could be different at different times of day. good to know.
    The DC Nest. Winers welcome.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Kendra, we stumbled onto something similar with DD since she had latch issues for the first 12 weeks, so I would try to nurse her, but then we would give her a bottle (only 3.5 oz. at that age) while I pumped.  So even after she figured BFing out, we still did bottle and nurse, since I found at my supply was lower at night.  It was as if my body had a fixed amount of milk it could make each day and so by the evening, if she had nursed a lot, there wasn't much left.  Glad that you're getting good sleep now.  Fingers crossed it will continue. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Sweeet! Congrats and enjoy. :-)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imagenorthernvabride:
    Kendra, we stumbled onto something similar with DD since she had latch issues for the first 12 weeks, so I would try to nurse her, but then we would give her a bottle (only 3.5 oz. at that age) while I pumped.  So even after she figured BFing out, we still did bottle and nurse, since I found at my supply was lower at night.  It was as if my body had a fixed amount of milk it could make each day and so by the evening, if she had nursed a lot, there wasn't much left.  Glad that you're getting good sleep now.  Fingers crossed it will continue. 

Thanks for the tips. Yes, I am still nursing her at night before the bottle like you suggested. But like you, my supply takes a dip in the evening - I read that this is normal though so I'm not concerned. I still pump while DH is giving her the bottle to empty the breasts before bedtime. And yes, please keep your fingers crossed for me :-)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Great!
    Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • I think most Moms' supply is most abundant in the mornings. I know my 1st pump of the day produces the most milk.

• I'm taking good notes. Smile

I'm glad that you had success and figured it out and hooray for uninterrupted sleep! 

• imageeeclem:
    that's really interesting. i didn't realize your supply could be different at different times of day. good to know.

Yep, it's widely differenta at different times of the day.  Most moms have the best supply at 5 or 6 a.m.  Also, when I was working , the first pumping of the day I got a lot (like 8-10 oz) and the rest of the day only 5 oz per pumping session.

Kendra, that's awesome you figured out the issue!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"