Parenting

Is there a "correct" pronunciation for Annika?

I've looked everywhere that I can find and the I keep getting different answers. These were the most common:

Anne-ika

Ahn-ika

Ah-KNEE-ka 

I like this name, but I prefer the Anne-ika pronunciation. I know either way it will be mispronounced, but I'm just curious if it's "wrong". 

Re: Is there a "correct" pronunciation for Annika?

• I've always say ah-KNEE-ka and thats how the 2 girls in my girls school pronounce it.
    Josh-10/1/87, Brittany 3/9/91, Mandi 7/26/92, Michelle 9/11/06 image I'M GRAPE JELLY- ALWAYS AROUND & ALWAYS THE SAME If I leave here tomorrow, would you still remember me. For I must be traveling on now. Because there are too many places I've got to see. -Allen Collins & Ronnie VanZant My favorite verse!
  • The only Annika I know is ah-ni-ka
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • You may have this up there already, and I'm mispronouncing what you have- but I've always said that name as: Anna-kuh

• imageamiamish:

You may have this up there already, and I'm mispronouncing what you have- but I've always said that name as: Anna-kuh

Yeah, that's pretty much how I say it...I just suck at typing phonetically. LOL.

• The only pronunciation I've heard of that name is #2 Ahn-ika. The girl I knew with that name was from Switzerland. Also, I'm pretty sure that the pro golfer pronounces it that way.
  • Ahn-ika is the only way I've ever heard it. Isn't it Swedish (or something similar)? The only person I've ever encountered with that name was Swedish and that's how she pronounced it.
    Annelise 3.22.2007 Norah 10.24.2009 Amelia 8.7.2011
  • Ah-KNEE-ka  is the only way I've heard it.
    imageimageimage
  • imagejessicaclare:
    Ahn-ika is the only way I've ever heard it. Isn't it Swedish (or something similar)? The only person I've ever encountered with that name was Swedish and that's how she pronounced it.

Most sites say German origin for the double n spelling.

• This is my friend's neice's name.  They pronounce it, "ann-ick-uh"
  • EXL311EXL311 member
    imageLittleMamaB:
    imageamiamish:

You may have this up there already, and I'm mispronouncing what you have- but I've always said that name as: Anna-kuh

Yeah, that's pretty much how I say it...I just suck at typing phonetically. LOL.

That's how I pronounce it too.

Dee Dee DS Elijah Xin 3/11/05 DD Evangeline Mei 8/24/06
  • I would say Anne-ika unless I knew she was foreign, in which case I would say Ahn-ika.  I think the A-knee-kuh pronunciation is what I would say if it was spelled Anika. 
    Jenni ~~Alex & Avery ~~ 6/13/06~~Adam ~~3/26/08

• My bosses wife said it Ahn-ika.  She was from Germany.
  • It is our daughters name. We spell it Anika and pronounce it ah-ni-ka.

It does not matter how many times we say it, people will pronounce it however they like. Unfortunately that also includes family. I think it is a beautiful name (obviously) and however you choose to say it is how your daughter will pronounce it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"