Pregnant after 35
Options

When did you have your first appointment?

I called my doctor to schedule my first appointment and they are ridiculously booked!  They said they normally schedule the first appointment around 6-8 weeks but there was nothing available during that time.  My options were Wednesday (when I'll be 4 1/2 weeks) or when I'll be 8 1/2 weeks.  I took the Wed one... is it a waste if I won't see the heartbeat at this point?  Which one would you take?

Re: When did you have your first appointment?

• Options

I went to my 1st appt at about 6 weeks. It was an orientation and filling out paperwork. They went over the dos and don'ts etc. I also had an external exam. That was about it. I feel lucky because I have never had a problem with having to wait. After my 1st appt they see you every 4 weeks until a certain point.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am with Kaiser and they don't do appointments before 8 weeks, so that's when my first will be.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My OB doesn't do the first appt until 10 weeks. 8.5 weeks isn't out of the ordinary for a first appt. It sucks to have to wait for it, but that's the way most OB offices are.
  • Options

IMO, the appointment at 8-1/2 weeks is a better one?especially if your OB does internal ultrasounds. At 4-1/2 weeks it's too soon to see a heartbeat (you won't HEAR one on the doppler until closer to 12 weeks) and you'll be further along.

Just my 2?.

EDIT: My 1st appointment, however, was at 6-1/2 weeks.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • Options
    rsd12rsd12 member

I agree the one at 8 1/2 weeks is better, the only thing they will be able to tell you on Wed is yup your test came out positive. 

For my 1st I went at 7 weeks, but was on fertility meds - My 2nd, my 1st appt was at 9 weeks (even after a m/c), but it was great to get the u/s & see the baby - & my current pregnancy my 1st appt was at 6 weeks 3 days.. they thought I was 7, & we got to see the hb & the bean.

Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • Options
    Got my BFP last week (4 weeks) and I have to wait til the last week in August to see my doctor, I will be 9 weeks by then.  I will see the nurse in a couple weeks but that is just really informational.  The wait sucks but at least when you get the ultrasound there will be more to see Smile
  • Options
    My first appt was 5 weeks.
  • Options
    My OB's office policy is the doctor doesn't see you before 8 weeks - it was 9 for me.  I went in around 6 weeks, I think, just for an info session (paperwork, insurance, etc.).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would take the 8 1/2 one, hands down. At 4 1/2 weeks (I'm surprised they even offer you that) you won't see anything, maybe just a yolk sac, but at 8 1/2 you'll be able to see the actual bean and the h/b. I went at 8 weeks for my first u/s and we were able to see the baby and the heart. I would have freaked out if I had gone earlier and not seen anything. That's my advice, good luck and sticky baby dust!
    Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • Options
    My first "real" appointment was at 5.5 weeks and I saw the heartbeat, but the fetus shape was still super vague. I got my first u/s at about... 3 weeks? All the tech could tell me was that I was pregnant and which ovary it came from - she could not even confirm it was a viable pregnancy (I was having pains, so they asked me to come in right away, before my first official appt. - also, I had no idea how far along I was cuz I don't get regular periods). I'd wait till the 8.5 weeks.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks for your feedback everyone!  I just switched my appointment to the 8.5 week one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"