Working Moms

Can I put a price on it?

I LOVE my daycare. Never in a million years did I think I would ever say it, but it's true, so happy there, ds loves it there and ds #2 will soon be going there. I always knew it was expensive, but never realized how much more it is than the other area centers. When we started, there wasn't much competition in the area and it was definitely the best choice. Now, there is a brand new center (with a great reputation) opening up right next door- and it's so much less expensive. For the two children- I would save $7000 a year.  I really do not want to switch. I know my 2 year old will have a really hard time with it. However, how do I ignore the huge savings?

so curious what others would do?

Re: Can I put a price on it?

• Talk to your current daycare.  If you seem like you are trying to leave then they might cut you a deal at least for a little while.  They have to be freaking out at the price diff and in fear of losing their clients.  I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't start running some deals just to keep their clients and be competitive. 

If it's a place you love and you were totally ok with what you were spending before, why feel bad about it. 

• I agree with pp. Talk to them and see if they decide to cut you a deal.  We loved the center that DS is now at but couldn't origionally afford it.  They asked what we could and when we told them what we could and that ds really isn't actually full time but needs all hours available since our schedules vary, they agreed.  You never know without asking.  I would have never thought a center would budge but I was pleasantly suprised.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I actually did speak to the center, and was VERY disappointed to hear that they can't budge on the price at all.
  • I'd check out the new place carefully-- just b/c it has a good reputation (I'm guessing it is a chain?) it doesn't mean that this one will have the same teachers as were at another one.  I'd make sure that you like the teachers, the owner, that you can see it up and running a few times on drop in visits... just make sure it lives up to its reputation.  If it does, that's a fair amount of money to be saving.  If not, then you don't have to worry b/c your kids will already be in a great place that your first child loves.
  • I'd stay hwere you are.  Maybe in a few months, if your current daycare loses some clients, they may be willing to negotiate w/ you.  Plus, if you do decide to switch- the new place has time to work the kinks out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"