Special Needs

asd moms. a great story of hope!

I live in Michigan and I have to say that I feel super lucky because here it seems that we have a constant influx of new resources for asd and just a wonderful base of knowledge on asd. Through one of those resources I saw a flier on a lecture being given and decided to go. I personally am not into diet and biomedical so I admit that parts of it were hard for me to sit through but I do see that the woman for example who was the other part of the lecture had a son who was literally perfect playing at disney world on camera waving hi mom I love you, and 3 weeks after whatever shot etc he received, he was completely and fully autistic so I do get why she feels confident in enzymes etc because her son is not recovered but he is well on his way so this works for her etc..

The other part of the lecture is what I was excited to share with you.  It's the reason I went and I will tell you that I have never been into celebrities etc, for this man I was star struck from start to finish. He is Raun from the Son-Rise story/facility.. When he was 2 his parents were told he is severely autistic, borderline retarded and to be ready to institutionalize him when he is around 8 yrs old. They literally told parents and others like him to try to teach him to self feed, dress himself and potty train, to ready him for the institution, nothing more. His parents took control of the situation , knowing at that time that all that was being offered was shock treatments, and they developed a program with him at home so when he for example was spinning plates, his mom got down and did the same.. we of course see that it's DIR but these people recovered their son. I don't mean they sort of did and he's quirky today I mean literally this man was the coolest guy, public speaker, Ivy Leauge grad and he was completely transformed by the age of 4 so when he was 5 he started school etc and he was no different.

I went up to talk to him after like a giddy teenager and what an inspiration. I will tell you my favorite part of the whole night was when my friend and I were asking him rather forward questions including "do you remember" etc . at one point he was looking for clarification on one question and he said "you mean, back when I was autistic?" It made my night. This regular, boistorous, funny , friendly, outspoken man, just said to me oh back when I was autistic"

loved every minute of it. He travels and so if you find a conference nearby I urge you to go see him speak. I personally want to hear his parents speak but they run their facility autism center of america. 

Wanted to share a wonderful success story :)

Re: asd moms. a great story of hope!

• Thanks for sharing, it's always nice to hear success stories.  I spend alot of time wondering what will become of my boy when he is grown.
    DS - June 2006 DD1 - November 2007 DD2 - August 2010
  • The longer I am in the asd community the more skeptics I meet. I will say that for the most part, the later they either waited or for whatever the reason otherwise, their child was diagnosed later, the more skeptical they are due to lack of progress. This also applies to those I meet with more severely autistic or challanged children.. Just what I have seen thus far..

I only know Raun Kaufman for the 2 hours I watched him speak but the only thing I can say in response to the skeptics is that he loved spinning plates and did so for 5 hours at a time as well as lining toys which can be here or there but generally not part of the apraxia realm from the little knowledge I have on it. I did ask him if he had memory of being "that way" and he said he only recalled the way people looked when he would look at them and that it was though he was looking through the wrong end of binoculars. He said he had no explanation nor did it affect him negatively at the time.

I'd love to find info on the other speakers.; This one for me was just super positive to see as a mother. DIR is for sure where I look to and trust. Son-rise though is for sure an offshoot of the same concept

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"