Working Moms
Options

Do you work 40 hrs/week regardless of how much work you have

I do.  I am required to work 40 hours/week.  Some days I get sooo bored.  I sometimes wish I could leave after I get all my work done ... but I guess I should be grateful I dont work more than 40 hours/week. 

Re: Do you work 40 hrs/week regardless of how much work you have

• Options
    Yes. Even when it's slower, I have to put in the time and hours, which can be frustrating. There are times I work more than that though if things are busy or there are evening/weekend work related things I need to do.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    FloF9FloF9 member
    This is me.  I have to work 40 hours.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes.  I have to be here whether or not I have work to do.  But on the flip side I flat out refuse to work more that 40 hrs.  I am salaried so I don't get over time for working more and my company has put us through pay cuts, furloughs, loss of vacation and benefits, etc.  So I figure if I can't get everything done in 40 hours then too bad.  I am not going to loose my time with DD to be here more than I have too. 
  • Options
      Yes, and I hate it!  My boss isn't willing to adjust it either, and I've volunteered to take a pay cut after LO arrives.  I could seriously get the same amound done in 30 hours, and would rather have the time with LO than the money.  Annoying!
  • Options
    dpdwdpdw member
    No, but more times than not I have more then 40 hrs/wk worth of work and I do it after the kids go to bed -- and I'm salaried, so I don't get extra $ for it.
  • Options

My old job was like that. I had to account for a minimum of 40 hours/week, and I got dinged on my reviews if I didn't do it.

My current job isn't, and I love it. I work from home, so no one even really knows what hours I work. As long as my work gets done, I show up for all my meetings, and I'm reasonably available during core business hours, I'm fine.

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

• Options
    imageflyer23:

My current job isn't, and I love it. I work from home, so no one even really knows what hours I work. As long as my work gets done, I show up for all my meetings, and I'm reasonably available during core business hours, I'm fine.

Yup.  Most weeks it doesn't take me 40 hours, sometimes though it takes me more.

• Options
    imageSam78:
    imageflyer23:

Yup.  Most weeks it doesn't take me 40 hours, sometimes though it takes me more.

Same for me. Some days I'm not as busy but others, like today, I'm on the phone all day doing calls.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 4/9/09 - Chloe, our angel twin Lilypie First Birthday tickers>
  • Options
    The way I see it, some weeks I win and other weeks they win.  There are some weeks when I have to leave early b/c of a doctor appointment or come in late b/c of a preschool event and I don't make up my time b/c inevitably the week before I worked more.  It always seems to work out. 
  • Options
    ha, when i read the title i totally interpreted this as "do you have more than 40 hours of work but leave when you hit 40 hours anyway" and my answer was going to be no.  i have more than 40 hours of work and almost always work more than 40 hours.  i do try to leave early on fridays though....but i make up for it mon-thur.  still, way better hours than at my previous company.
  • Options
    What do you all do???  Awesome schedule!
  • Options
    YES - I bet most days I could probably get all my stuff done and leave an hour to an hour and a half early...but then I would have to take vaca or sick time.  I wish it was get your work done and you could leave...that would be so nice. 
  • Options
    It drives me nuts that if you have 10,20 or 30 hrs of work a week that you have to stay the full 40 but that's how it's been everywhere i've been.  This job has much closer to 40 (+/- 5 hrs) hrs of work to do each week so it's nice.  I'm not as bored and I'm not overlwhelmed either.
  • Options

I guess I'm a little surprised by this thread and the responses.  Are you all paid hourly or salaried?  If you're full time salaried, I can't imagine thinking you should work less than 40 hours a week.  In fact, if you don't have enough work, that's something you should be addressing with your employer?  If you're paid hourly, do you still expect to be paid for 40 hours even if you work less?

I work at least 40 hours every week (frequently many more).  I don't ever have the problem of not enough work to do, though.

• Options

imagejennynorene:
    ha, when i read the title i totally interpreted this as "do you have more than 40 hours of work but leave when you hit 40 hours anyway" and my answer was going to be no.  i have more than 40 hours of work and almost always work more than 40 hours.  i do try to leave early on fridays though....but i make up for it mon-thur.  still, way better hours than at my previous company.

Same here. Some weeks I work till 7PM, but then the next week I may be leave early or come in late. It always seems to equal out.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I too interpreted this as meaning do you have MORE than 40 hours of work to do, but try to work only 40 hours....  Big Smile

I try to leave after 10 hours at the office each day, and I take a little bit home to review during my late night pump.  There's always too much for me to get across though!!  I used to work long hours to get across it all, but now with my little guy, I'm trying to attain more of a 'work-life balance'.  Can't say that i've figured it out as I usually work during little man's naps on the weekends.  It's never a dull moment. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"