Washington Babies
Options

Not using their words?

Ads has this thing now where she goes uh uh uh at anything she sees or wants.  It has gotten to the point where it is driving us batty!  She is uh uh uhing ALL DAY LONG.  How do I encourage her to use her words?  Or do I just ignore this a bit and see if it self corrects itself?  Its going to be embarrassing when she goes to college and sees a cute boy and goes uh uh uh!

Re: Not using their words?

• Options

" Its going to be embarrassing when she goes to college and sees a cute boy and goes uh uh uh!" 

Hilarious!

SHe's still kinda young to know words of what she wants right?  Not sure this is the right thing but when DS did this, we would say " you want your book" Get the book, give it to him and make him say or sign "please" or the word if he knew what it was.  It sorta worked.  Now when he tries to uh uh uh and point, we say "what do you want" and he'll go point at it or tell us if he knows the word. 

BIG Brother born 10/19/07 little Brother born 1/31/12
  • Options
    Kaylin is going through this right now so I totally sympathize. We have been working with her on saying and signing please when she wants something. She got the sign down almost right away but she has yet to say the word. In any case, I much prefer her signing then just doing the uh uh uh! deal ;)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would just model the words you think she is trying to say, and encourage her to say it after you. Like if she wants a drink, say Oh, you want a drink! Can you say 'drink'? And then give it to her. She will make the connection, epecially if you arent just responding to the uh uh uh, without giving her the words she should use. HTH!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Mason went through a huge phase of this, excpet his sound of choice was "zzz zzzz" and it drove us crazy.  It will just take time for her to vocalize acutal words that you will understand.  We would just say/ask what he wanted, "you want your book/snack/toy".  I feel like with Mas it went on for maybe 4-6 months, before his vocabulary caught up. 
  • Options
    We're pretty similar to pp's.  We say "use your words" and then try to help her find the word by asking and signing what we think she wants "book? drink? eat?".  We also try to remain really calm is she gets frustrated that we're not understanding and encourage her that she can find a way to communicate it.  We've recently started asking her to show us or point to what she wants but I don't think she would have been able to do this a month ago. 
  • Options
    Payton did that with 'dat', drove us nuts! She will grow out of it, no worries! I have a feeling Ads will be a talker like her mama! ;) we always repeated what P pointed at, like pp's suggested.
  • Options
    KNemoKNemo member

imageJas*sGirl:
    Its going to be embarrassing when she goes to college and sees a cute boy and goes uh uh uh!

I pink puffy heart you! Aren't there some instances in college where saying "Uh uh uh" is appropriate?? Especially if it is with a boy she likes??? I kid, I kid!

The only Easter Bunny I can get behind.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Maxwell Joseph 4/09 Lucy Violet 10/12

• Options
    imageKNemo:

imageJas*sGirl:
    Its going to be embarrassing when she goes to college and sees a cute boy and goes uh uh uh!

I pink puffy heart you! Aren't there some instances in college where saying "Uh uh uh" is appropriate?? Especially if it is with a boy she likes??? I kid, I kid!

LOL yes I see you point and find it valid!!  Now if only we will take off her chastity belt before she goes to college!  ;)

• Options
    I'm surprised she actually has any words to say that young.   I wouldn't worry about it.   Try to get her to sign if you're sick of the grunting.   But she's just barely a year old.  How many words does she have???  Ben didnt' have any at 1.
  • Options

Thanks ladies!  She actually talks/communicates quite a bit...I was just trying to figure out how to teach her to use her words.  She does the uh uh uh thing all the time....its almost become a game with her.  She wont even be looking at something and will go uh uh uh...it gets a little crazy.  HAHA  She also asks "whats that" all the time too so we get uh uh uh and then whats that all in the same sentence.  Fun times!  I was more wondering if we should play into the uh uh uh or just let it go by the waist side and see if she slows down with it a bit?

• Options
    So funny. DS tends to do this and he knows how to sign "please" or "help". When he does it I say "how do you ask for that?" or "how do you ask for help?" and then he'll sign. I'm pretty insistent about it for everything but he still grunts and whines, must be instinct. I just try not to "reward" him for it. If you can take her hands and help her sign a please or help over and over, maybe that will help?
  • Options

imagesunmountain:
    So funny. DS tends to do this and he knows how to sign "please" or "help". When he does it I say "how do you ask for that?" or "how do you ask for help?" and then he'll sign. I'm pretty insistent about it for everything but he still grunts and whines, must be instinct. I just try not to "reward" him for it. If you can take her hands and help her sign a please or help over and over, maybe that will help?

ahhhh that reminds me.  When Ben started this grunty thing but didnt have enough words, I taught him a sign for help and for please.  So he could at least just tell me he needed something rather tahn just grunting or screaming or something.

• Options
    I didn't read the other responses, but at that age we taught Evie to say "please" or "help."  That way she could get her point across even if she couldn't say the word for exactly what she wanted.
  • Options
    I think it's interesting how early they learn "what's that".  Paige went through a period of a few weeks where she said it CONSTANTLY, pointing at everything.  But, now I haven't heard it from her in a few months.  I find that not too long after something goes from cute to annoying they're on to something else.
  • Options

imagejen_and_tom:
    I think it's interesting how early they learn "what's that".  Paige went through a period of a few weeks where she said it CONSTANTLY, pointing at everything.  But, now I haven't heard it from her in a few months.  I find that not too long after something goes from cute to annoying they're on to something else.

dont' worry, it will be back.  and more involved.  "What is that mommy?  What's it for?  How use it?"

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"