Special Needs
Options

Weighted blankets

Hi Everyone,

I usually lurk and have gotten some good ideas and advice from you ladies. My son will be 3 in September and was dx ASD.  I was wondering if anyone had any experience using a weighed blanket for their child with ASD or sensory issues.  If so, where did you buy yours?  There are so many place to get them online but a reference is always helpful.

Thanks for your help.

Devin

Re: Weighted blankets

• Options
    Before we bought one we tried a comforter that we folded for our LO.  It worked!  He's using melatonin, the blanket, and a lovey and he's sleeping from 8pm to 8 am!
  • Options

Mommyof4 boys -Thanks for your response.  My problem is keeping my asleep.  He falls asleep no problem but then will wake up at 3 AM for the day.  He has no interest in going back to sleep.   He tried the melatonin but it really did not work for him.  In the past 30 days he has only slept past 5 AM 8 times.  I am losing my mind.  I have been talking to his therapists trying to figure out what to do. 

Where did you buy your blanket?

Thanks

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I use a folded up REALLY heavy quilt that DH grandma made him a long time ago. it is VERY heavy, not sure you can find anything in a store like that these days if you don't already have it.

It's worth a try to fold up a heavy blanket to see if it works before you purchase.

My son just could NOT stop long enough to go to sleep, so it wasn't the same issue you're having. NOT that it wouldnt help. Especially if you tried it and went in just before you go to bed to make sure its still on??? just an idea.

Mommyof4boys.... are you talking about the one who was up all hours is sleeping 8-8 now???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am SOO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOHOOO for sleep1!!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yea, Chris was sleeping maybe 2-3 hours per day!  We had similar issues.  He was not falling asleep until 3 or 4 at night OR he was falling asleep around 8 and waking up for the day arournd midnight at one point.  We did CIO since we were desperate for sleep but given Chris cognition was at a 9 month old level at 15 months old IMO it was cruel.  He started getting so worked up he was puking; that was the end of it.  Chris' DI also suggested swaddeling if the blanket didn't work.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"