Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Late walker means smarter baby?

My uncle told me that he has heard this several times. I guess for those who crawl for at least 6 months have better right brain development, and have an easier time with learning overall (especially reading and writing) later on in life. Not sure if there is any truth to this, but thought it was interesting. Glenn Doman is the one that talks about this theory. :)

Re: Late walker means smarter baby?

• Maybe Liam is going to be a genius then lol cause I can't see him walking anytime soon ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker
  • guess my kid will be the village idiot...

he started crawling at 8 months and walked at 9 months

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • well I totally dig this theory!!!! 
  • I would be really surprised if late or early walking had anything to do with how smart baby is.  Doman's work is pretty out of date.  The AAP and APA tend to refer to his theories of brain development as "out moded."

All our babies will be super-geniuses no matter when they walk! Wink

• Tess12Tess12 member
    My doctor says the same thing, but then adds that he walked at 16 months, so I think he's just making himself feel better.
  • imageTess12:
    My doctor says the same thing, but then adds that he walked at 16 months, so I think he's just making himself feel better.

LOL. This cracked me up.

I'm not putting much stock in it, but since I don't see DS walking anytime soon, I think it's a fascinating theory. Wink

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Depends who you ask ;)

My GF is a physical therepist and specializes in children with disabilities. She swears that even though technically crawling is not a milestone, 9 times out of 10 she can tell which of her kids never crawled or only crawled for a short amount of time. 

Apparently, these children have trouble with their fine motor skills, handwritting, eye hand coordination, etc. Clearly, theres nothing scientific to her theory it's just her professional opinion. 

My 8yo crawled for about a week and started walking at 12 mo. He does have poor handwritting, eye hand coordination, etc. No clue if they are related or just because he's an 8yo boy =)

• imagebyrne15:

guess my kid will be the village idiot...

he started crawling at 8 months and walked at 9 months

haha, Jude, too!! ?Except he crawled early at 5 months.. we have 2 dummies!?

• I highly doubt this is true... but since DD isn't walking yet, I won't discount the theory entirely yet :-).
  • I think that late development of motor skills like walking probably means earlier development of verbal skills, but I don't think that means higher intelligence later in life.  By the time kids hit kindergarten, you can't tell who walked/talked early or late.  My DH has a cousin who walked at 9 months, and now he's getting his PhD at Harvard.

My DS walked at 10.5 months, and naturally we know he's a genius Wink

• As the mother of an eaerly walker, I am HIGHLY offended.

:::stomps out of post with her apparently slow child:::

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • LOL Jenifairies!  Sorry, no offense. I just thought it was interesting that this was even a theory. I had never heard about this until this weekend. Wink
  • I've just heard it says something about the childs personality...like early walkers are do it without hesitating/adventurous little ones versus late walkers who are cautious/think before they act types.  I don't know how much truth this holds either, but I thinkit makes more sense than the intelligence correlation.
    Moved to Maple Valley, Washington January 2012
  • My dd just started walking and her head is in the 95th percentile.  She is going to be a genius!  (he he he) :)
  • imageBrina Bean:
    I've just heard it says something about the childs personality...like early walkers are do it without hesitating/adventurous little ones versus late walkers who are cautious/think before they act types.  I don't know how much truth this holds either, but I thinkit makes more sense than the intelligence correlation.

This seems more accurate to me. My DD has never been one to just relax. I couldn't even do a cradle hold when she was 2 months old, I had to hod her in a sitting or standing position.

And I've heard people say before that if they're more active, they are less verbal and vice versa. DD doesn't have too many words, but she's all over the place and has high problem solving skills too.

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • DH walked at 15 months and he was in gifted classes. I was walking at 8 months and I wasn't in gifted but I do have common sense.

• sweet! i have three geniuses, then! they walked at 15 months. :)
    How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"