Special Needs

SLP Eval today -- dyspraxia

After getting thoroughly frustrated with the EI process in my county, I decided to pay out of pocket to a have SLP evaluate my son.  After having extensive conversations with me, reviewing the IFSP the county gave us, and observing and playing with Zach for a good period of time this morning, she told us that she thinks he has verbal dyspraxia.  I don't think she's ever met a parent who was actually happy to hear that.  I've just been pulling out my hair trying to get a straight answer on what is going on with him and what to do about it, which was compounded by the fact that the county didn't send an SLP to evaluate him.  It turns out that all the goals the "infant educator" wrote are too advanced for him -- we have to work out the underlying oral motor issues before we can turn to developing 2-word combinations.  It makes sense with observations that have been made to me -- how his mouth hangs open and how he tries to talk but just can't sometimes.

The OT the county assigned me still hasn't called to schedule therapy -- so I might have to pay yet again to have private treatment.  I'm curious to see if the dyspraxia extends beyond the oral issues.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: SLP Eval today -- dyspraxia

• What are your son's issues? Apraxia or dyspraxia is a difficult dx to make until much older. Trev. has been dx with Apraxia (which is an oral motor condition); he's been recieving speech services since 2. We've seen 6 different SLPs and none are sure that this truly is the correct dx. Trev's speech wasn't  intelligible until 3.5. Check out my blog - it's about our journey. Also, this is a great website :

https://www.apraxia-kids.org/

I'm sure others will give their experiences. I think there are a few moms on here dealing with a similar dx. HTH

• I mentioned above his apparent difficulty in trying to vocalize certain things The word balloon, for example.  I can see him really making an effort and all that comes out is booooo.  He will change his pitch on certain sounds as if mimicking conversation, such as when he is pretending to talk on the phone.  He understands pretty much everything you say and can respond non-verbally, and has good non-verbal communication otherwise (he even tried to close the SLP in the closet when he decided he was done with the session and didn't want to play anymore).  He will put together some two-word phrases in sign language (more please, for example) and attempt the words, but has a very hard time getting the words out.  He also had limited vocalization when he was little, and has limited consants now.  He is much more likely to make vowel sounds.
  • Loading the player...
  • Sounds very similar to Trev. We had to work on oral motor ex (blowing bubble, face massage, chew tube) before we could work on sounds. For him, everything was "DA" called me and DH "Dadin" for the longest time! Sign and PECS were also helpful in communicating with him - his receptive language was MUCH higher than expressive. He was dx as severe Apraxia @ 2.5 and now talks in sentences! There is hope!
  • So glad you have some answers. No-one knows 100% when it comes to developmental issues in little ones. It is a subjective process & I am so glad that you have something more appropriate to work with now!!! I know that feeling of HAPPINESS after diagnosis b/c you just want to know what to work on!!! 

Congrats.

I pray he gets the help he needs!!! 

• And although apraxia/dyspraxia are hard to diagnose, that label may not be 100% accurate, and/or he may out grow that diagnosis, it does in fact sound like a motor planning deficit and I am glad you have an SLP you feel good about who was able to help identify this.  I bet you will see great progress.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"