Minnesota Babies

vent: Lactation consultant/PNP at Children's Clinic is aweful

I called trying to find a pediatrician at the Children's Clinic in Minneapolis, and the woman on the phone, unfortunately I didn't get her name, was completely unhelpful.  I was asking her to help narrow it down so that we can make an appointment to have a consultation with the pediatrician, She kept saying that that was too broad a questions and would first depend on what clinic we wanted to go to, I told her that we were interested in that one and would like to know what female pediatricians practice there. She said that there were a lot, and we could meet them over time as we come in for well baby visits. I said that I would like to know who I am taking my baby to before we put all our faith in that one person. And she said that it really was more about where the clinic is, to which I explained we live approx the same distance from all the clinics we are looking at, and that was not a deciding factor for us. So I asked questions about vaccines, and breastfeading and preventaive care, and tubes in the ears and other things that are important to us, and she gave relies like well that will come up later. She said something about not realizing how extensive this call was when she returned it, and should have called when she had more time. Finally I was just so fed up, and told here that we had been interested in the Children's Clinic network because of it's good reputation, but if this is the type of run around that we get than forget it, we'll go to the Fairview children' s clinic which was so much more helpful and polite.  I just had to get that off my chest, I was having a good day before getting all worked up by someone who can't take the time of day to answer some questions.

Update: So the mean nasty Nurse Practitioner called to apologize for her attitude on the phone, and today I was awaken by another practitioner from the clinic to see if I was interested in trying to find a pediatrician.  I told them that I don't think we want a clinic that dosen't have after hours nurses to call or urgent care or weekend hours dosen't work for us. I think the Children's Hospital is great, but for a well baby clinic, I just don't think they stack up to others.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage

Re: vent: Lactation consultant/PNP at Children's Clinic is aweful

• That's frustrating.  I would give them another chance.  You were asking someone who was directing traffic, not building the road.  Your questions are too specific for anyone who is not the actual provider and you will never get those questions answered until you interview the provider.

This is how you find a provider. 

In any network, you find the clinic, you read the providers bio, you pick someone to interview, call them to set up an provider interview, bring you list of questions, meet them and decide. 

I have friends that have interviewed 5-10 peds before selecting one.You have to do the legwork yourself, not some information clerk. 

Sorry,that's just how it works.  You just can't have someone plug in your needs and then select one for you.

You may also want to try some websites, like www.mothering.com, and go under local tribes, and ask for recommendations.

I found my ped by going to the clinic open house that is once a month and then interviewing 2 at the meeting. 

• I was also going to say that we are very lucky to have Childrens  here.  They are one of the best providers for childrens medicine in the country.  I don't have my ped there as it's inconvenient for us, we have one with an urgent care about 6 blocks from my house.  But we use them for speciality care.

Also, consult LLL, for LC's as well as your hospital where you are delivering.  They all have LC's.

• Loading the player...
  • I have a breastfeeding peer councelor Stephanie who is a lactation consultant that I talk to on the phone when I'm having a hard days or trouble and she's free! If you are interested I can give you her number just email me (dawn) at stayawaketill311 at yahoo dot com. Also, I worked with Ben at HCMC peds clinic (612-873-2435) he is an NNP and a lactation consultant, he is very good as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"