Illinois Babies

anyone deliver at Prentice downtown?

sorry if this is asked often here...i'm not usually on this board... i have a few questions please :)

-i am guessing they have pads, diapers, stool softeners, cold packs, tucks wipes--so i don't need to pack these items? or do i?

-did you bring your own pillow? i've heard they are sometimes short b/c they are so busy--but a pillow is big to pack so if i don't need it i won't bring it...

-did you bring a boppy? again, i guess depends how accessible pillows are/were

-is the foldout bed for DH at all comfy?

-the food looks good....is it? how accessible is it? should i also bring snacks and juice boxes so we have them when we want?

-any other tips about Prentice? on the tour everything was so nice and clean and new! thanks!!

diagnosed with stage IV endo via lap surgery IVF #1 - 27 eggs! 14 fertilized (3 natural, 11 ICSI) 5dt of A embryo, froze 6 BFP on 9/28! Baby K born via surprise c-section after 15 hrs of labor and he is perfect!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

frozen transfer a success! boy #2 via VBAC Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: anyone deliver at Prentice downtown?

• I haven't delivered yet but just went to the great expectations class.  The pads look super huge but the disposable undies look really comfy.  They have all other items you might need including sitz bath.  I plan on bringing the boppy.  The foldout bed for DH looks terribly uncomfortable (kind of like a plastic couch).  I'm having DH bring his sleeping bag.  They also told me that you can get food anytime because they have room service you can order.  HTH!

DS1 June 12, 2009
    DS2 May 19, 2011
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • DH and I got to spend some quality time in L&D about a month ago due to a scare with low fluid and reduced movement. And if the little one ever decides to arrive we will be delivering at Prentice. Here is my experience at Prentice as well as having family that work at Prentice.

-They will provide you with pads,diapers,stool softeners, etc and will send you home with more than you need. They do not provide shower gel, shampoo, toothbrush, etc so bring your own. You might also want to bring a towel or two from home that you wouldn't mind parting with.

-Bring your own pillow if you use more than one but be careful about some of the oversized pillows as they can be hard to manage in the smaller bed.

-I do not plan on bringing the boppy and was told to leave it at home by several people.

-The foldout bed has a max height of 6 foot six inches. Per DH who is 6 foot eight inches it is not comfortable at all.

-Snacks are good especially for DH as they will charge you for whatever he eats not to mention it can take upwards of an hour to get food delivered.

My brain is kind of fuzzy right now but if I think of anything else or deliver anytime soon I will be sure to post.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It's been 17 months since I delivered there, but let me see what i remember! I LOVED my whole experience with L&D there (and I delivered on Christmas Eve, LMAO).

Anyhow--

-They had everything I needed there--pads (yes...they are HUGE...but they work!), the vag. ice packs (little gifts from Heaven), the disposable undies (look strange since they are mesh...but who wants all that gunk on your own undies?), pain meds, stool softener, etc. I seem to recall there being a disposable toothbrush, toothpaste, soap and shampoo (in a dispenser in the shower) there as well as towels. If you want, bring your own, but it's not necessary.

-They provided a pillow or two. I don't remember wanting my own from home. So they must have been OK.

-I'd bring your boppy. They are quite comfy for nursing. It's up to you!

-If your DH is super tall, he may not be comfy in that fold out bed, but my DH was fine on it. It's not the most super comfortable bed in the world. But...to be perfectly honest...neither of you will do a whole lot of sleeping :). Not consecutive hours anyhow!

-The food is good and easily accessible. You can order it whenever you want. Yours is free. You can order a bit extra for your DH, but not a ton. Like, when you order breakfast--get a few pieces of fruit. Get coffee, juice,water and milk. You can order toast along with whatever your entree is. You could order an extra muffin. All those things are included with your meal. And you could share w/ your DH. Same with dinner. What you coudln't do is order 2 entrees. KWIM? It does take about 45 minutes to get food up to your room. Just like room service at a hotel would.

Your DH is able to utilize this service if he wants, but you have to pay for it and then it's kind of expensive and not worth it, IMO. He's better off just gong to the cafeteria and bringing it up for himself. Pack snacks too. If not for you, then for your DH or if your mom or MIL comes to visit. Stuff like that.

• Everything was fabulous there...they have everything you need and more, but BRING TUCKS WIPES! ?That's the only thing and had to send my husband out for them. ?I'd bring a boppy - just such a handy thing to have when BFing.
  • I also would say to bring the boppy.  I sent my sister over to our condo while we were still there to make things easier.
  • Yes, we brought our Boppy when we delivered last year and it will be coming this year too.  Much easier than propping up pillow while b/f'ing.  Also, nice for DH's pillow.  We brought extra snacks, juice and foods for hubby and guests, they provided us with a mini fridge last time and I hope we get one this time too :)  The hubby and the kids were fine to get food from the cafeteria which they said was pretty good and Mc Donald's in about 3 blocks away ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"