Birth Stories

Labor Talk with Doctor???

I'd like to have a natural birth.  I've thought about a home, water birth.  I can't get the thoughts of something happening, though.  I really do not want a c-section.

When did you talk to your doctor about labor/delivery? 

Re: Labor Talk with Doctor???

• Are you pg? If so, have this talk ASAP and also do some independent research on the c/s rates at the hospital you'll be delivering at.

FWIW, there aren't a ton of docs that are ok with a homebirth (or if they are ok with it, they aren't licensed to attend) so you're better safe than sorry asking now.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would talk to the Doctor ASAP and suggest looking into a midwife.  I attempted a natural birth, the hospital and Dr. were okay with it, but I think a midwife would have offered more support and suggestions. For instance, the doctor did not want me to labor standing at all, since my water had broken.  It also took me asking for a squat bar to get that during the pushing.

Also, nobody really wants a C-section, but regardless of how or where you plan on delivering you should make some sort of plan for what you will do if you need one.  I went med free, but after 2.5 hours of pushing my baby wasn't moving anywhere. I wish I had at least been prepared for that idea- since it was the opposite of my natural labor wishes and I beat myself up over it for a while (which I don't think I would have done if I'd been prepared for that possibility).

• Loading the player...
  • I suggest starting researching as soon as possible. Are there midwives in your area? Or you could look into getting a doula- check out dona.org for more info on that.

I switched from an ob (and planned hospital birth) to a midwife at a birth center at 20 weeks and am so happy I did- I am planning a natural birth and I don't think my chances would have been as good in a hospital with that ob... 

if you have any questions feel free to pm me :) and look at the birth stories- there are tons of natural birth and even home birth stories on here! Good luck! 

Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"