Illinois Babies

If you have a nanny for LO

Hello,

My husband and I are looking at hiring a nanny to come to our home starting this fall to care for our 10 month old. I am curious about what you pay your nanny (how much per hour/day/week whatever) and where you live.

I have seen on some nanny websites that people are posting that they will accept $10-20/hr and this seems high to me. I have heard of friends who take their LO to a home daycare or have someone come to their home for as little as $40 a day.

TIA!

Re: If you have a nanny for LO

• my girlfriend was a nanny prior to becoming a sahm and she was working for a family in the city and was paid 500/week cash for about 40-45 hours but said that was on the low end.

i have another girlfriend who works 2 days a week and pays 12/hour for her girl ( who came from sittercity)

we have a family on our block in the  western burbs that has an aupair from germany. they change every six months and are much cheaper than a nanny but have to live with you.

hope this helps

• What area do you live in?  
  • Loading the player...
  • I was a nanny and I was flexible with my pay--I was working summers while in college and my highest pay was $800 week for 6 days... some nannies are willing to be flexible, though--especially in this economy.  They may not have a job otherwise! Just find a few you are comfortable with and that you like and talk to them about what you can afford and they're willing to take.
  • If you are in the city, $10-20 per hour is right on- for one child, typically $12+ and for 2 kids $15+.  The higher ranges are for those with more experience, etc. 
  • $10-$20 isn't high. You have to take into account that they probably won't be getting benefits and need to make a reasonable living - $10 an hour isn't much at all if you think about it from the nanny's side. Daycares are cheaper because they can care for more children and therefore you share the cost with other parents.
  • I realize I am a little late on this post but as a Nanny myself I wanted to share my thoughts on this.  If you are looking for a home daycare, you can expect to pay about half of what you would pay a nanny.  That is why you have heard of people paying 40 for one day, it was most likely a home daycare situation.  This way the caregiver can provide care for multiple children and still make a decent income, as apposed to a nanny who would only be watching your children. 
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Here a great tool for you to use.

https://babysitters.sittercity.com/rate_calculator.html

I found it through sittercity.com.   I'm a nanny on that site as well as care.com. 

Most nannies charge more than a home daycare provider because they are giving one on one attention to your child/children.  Home daycare is the way to go if you are looking to spend less, and get quality care with a low child to caregiver ratio. 

I watched a child in my home last year for $200/week but when I nanny I charge 12+/hour due to being one-on-one and my experience.  It all depends on your area and the type of care you want to use.  I can't say that one is better than the other (from home daycare to a daycare center to having a nanny) though because I've done all and they are have pros and cons.

_____________________________________________________________________________

SAHM to 4 kiddos... K (5/05), N (4/09), C (11/10) and Baby A 1/13/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"