Illinois Babies
Options

Birth Class?

Has anyone taken the Great Expectations class at Northwestern/Prentice?

I am taking a natural birth class and trying to decide if I should still take the Great Expectations for the tour, hospital policies, and possible interventions aspect OR skip it since I already took a birth class and just take the free hospital tour.

Any thoughts on the content of the course?

Re: Birth Class?

• Options
    I took the Great Expectations class and the Breast feeding class. If you've already taken a birth class then I would say skip the Great Expectations and just do the hospital tour. I would recommend the breast feeding class though if they don't go over that in your natural birthing class.?
  • Options
    We're taking the two Friday sessions of Great Expectations.  Our first class was last night.  I don't feel like I really learned anything from it that I didn't already know.  The tour for us is next week and I think that will be the most worthwhile part.  I think you'd be fine with just the tour since you've already had a child birth class.  We are taking the breastfeeding class though too, so I'm hoping that will be more helpful.
    TTC #1 since 6/08. Cycle #6 - BFP 12/22/08, EDD 9/3/09, DD 8/14/09 at 37w1d
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2 since 6/11
    me=36 - low AMH, DH=38
    BFP #2 - 8/31/11, EDD 5/10/12, M/C 9/23/11
    BFP #3 - 3/4/12, EDD 11/14/12, CP 3/11/12
    BFP #4 - 5/9/12, EDD 1/19/13, CP 5/11/12
    BFP #5 - 8/22/12, EDD 5/5/13, CP 8/24/12
    IVF#1 - January 2013 - EPP/Antagonist - 7R, 3M, 2F, 3dt of 2 8-cell embies
    BFP #6 - 2/3/13, EDD 10/15/13, DS 9/18/13 at 36w1d
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    thanks, ladies! 
  • Options

I was in your shoes not too long ago as DH and I were taking Bradley classes and uncertain as to whether or not we needed to take the Great Expectations class. If you have the time and the money I would urge you to take the class as it provides you with tons of information regarding the hospitals policies and procedures. My doc was great throughout my pregnancy however there was tons of information regarding policy and procedures that I got from the class that I did not get from appointments.

I would warn you that there are not a lot of people going to Prentice for unmedicated and minimal intervention births as the majority of our group did not want to discuss relaxation techniques available at Prentice; just the drugs. DH and I had several couples give us a hard time about planning an unmedicated birth with some asking us "are you crazy" and "why would you do that to yourself." There were two couples that wanted to know about elective c-sections as well as inductions when there is no medical necessity. If you can; go with another couple/individual who is considering unmedicated birth.

Unmedicated and births with minimal interventions are possible at Prentice with the right doctor/midwife, a good L&D nurse and of course a great coach.  I had a wonderful experience at Prentice and plan on having any future babies there.

If you are planning on breastfeeding the class that Northwestern offers is great. We met with a lactation consultant outside of Northwestern prior to the birth of our son and the class was so much better than the consultant.

Best of luck to you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"